Bar/stem/grip upgrades

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

About to pick myself up a second hand BigHit 2 for the summer bike park riding - bike as it stands needs new grips and bar (too narrow currently) and I will probably chuck on a new stem too as the old one looks crap.

Suggestions welcome with following criteria:

Stem needs to be 50mm, zero to minimal rise.
My XC bars are 685mm and I think for the DH I'd like wider (I am not a huge guy though so 800 probably too big) - probably woudl like something I can cut down until I find my dream width.
Grips I currently use som RF ones on my xc bike - lock ons a must and somethign with a bit of density to it

May need a new saddle too but SDG is my preferred option there anyway.
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The choice is immense but for gravity action Renthal Fatbars seem a popular choice at the moment

Renthal also make a direct mount stem which looks very tasty. I have used a Funn RSX stem which is a bit of a brick but it works fine and is inexpensive. Have also got a Spank Director stem which is very minimalist almost invisible and a few notches up from the RSX in terms of bling. Looks deadly in chrome with Spank 777 bars.

Grips well it has to be ODI Rogue

Saddle again something minimalist that doesn't get in the way not too short like a DJ seat or too long like an XC seat. Have a look at Spank, Funn, Chromag
  • paul.skibum
    Cheers - its a single crown fork though so no direct mount stem.

Had looked at the Spike, the renthals might be an option. I may have to tour some local stores and see the options available otherwise its a CRC order and see how long Canada Post takes to deal with that!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Chromag is on your doorstep no?

I have some bars and a single-crown stem it's great stuff but it has a home-made/prototype look that may not be to everyone's tastes.

Have been waiting for a Chromag Dolomite since Oct 2011 :(
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    No point in spending more than you have to. Kore Torsion bars are very good and only 30 quid. Yes they are 800mm but you can cut them down like I did. Truvativ make some good, cheap stems and my favorite saddle for a bike like that is the SDG I-Fly, very minimalist, light and strong.
  • paul.skibum
    The Torsion was on my list - I know my LBS has them and a guy I rode with last summer rated his (at 800mm but he was a lanky b-stard). I am going to check with the bike repair place in the bike park as they may have some old stems kicking around (truvativs) from last years rental fleet but they are basic and I may as well stick with the Deity on there in that case.

Chromag are indeed "local" in the Canadian sense of the word - will see what local stockists there are.

SDG saddles have been my mainstay for the past few years so will check out the I-Fly
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As your a Canuck I won't suggest Peaty grips..........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    British originally mate! They sell Peaty grips here - Smithy grips haven't caught on yet!