I hate road works!

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Hello! I hope you are all well.

Yesterday on my commute I had to go through very heavy traffic because of some road works going on. It was one of them where the road works are happening on one side of the road and temporary traffic lights to let the traffic coming from the opposite direction go on the wrong side of the road to bypass the road works.

anyway, because of the heavy traffic the cars/vans/buses had basically cut off the left side of the road where a cyclist normally would be and i wasnt too sure if i should venture out towards the middle of the lane to by pass this traffic. i ended up riding on the pavement and walking some of it. it took me a while to get pass this road work for me to carry on as normal.

how do you tackle this problem? I was thinking of an alternative route but that would add another 5 miles on top approx. i've only just started commuting so for now keeping the commute simple and to what i know is what i'm sticking to.

Thanks people :)

Comments

• Hello - I usually cycle slowly up the outside (right side) of the traffic if there is room. If not i'll wait or get off and walk* along the pavement until I am past the roadworks. (*well, to be honest, i do sometimes cycle very slowly along the pavement if it seems clear).
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    As I've said before, buy and read cyclecraft by John Franklin.

And read these: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/travel ... ding-home0
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."