screeching avid elixir 3 brakes!

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Is it normal for avid brakes to screech horribly?!
I have a 2011 giant trance x3 with avid elixir 3.
I took it round rutland water yesterday for about its 5th ride and it got quite muddy and wet.
About 15 miles in a horrible screeching sound started occuring. I thought it was a suspension bearing or something as it only happened when pedalling.
I narrowed the sound down to the front brake caliper and took it off to check it and reseat it. The sound stopped when cycling but still happened when cornering or climbing hard.
Is this normal for avid brakes?
The bike is quite a recent purchase but was bought mail order so dont know about sending it back if theres a fault.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Not normal at all. None of my countless pairs have.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The discs rubbing on the pads. Clean the brakes to get the mud and crud of them.

Can happen to any brake.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have Elixir 3 brakes on my Trek Remedy. Took it out last night after a deluge and the brakes were screeching quite loudly. Got home, took the pads out and gave them a quick clean, went for a short run down the road and it seemed to fix the problem. This is the first time it has happened to me so will be intersting to see if it happens again.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just give them a good hosing after a muddy ride. Or a wet one. Or a dusty one. They'll probably still make a noise but they'll be clean.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Glad it's not just me then. Was about to post similar about mine. I did consider that it might be a bit of dust or something in there. Taking the wheel off and re-inserting it seemed to fix it for a while but it started off again a bit later. I'll give it a wash out then, see if that fixes it.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i found mine improved considerably post a bleed.
    perhaps because the pistons are forced back with the bleed block and the pads are out and cleaned up the caliper.