Cameras......

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I know, I know - why is gtvlusso asking about cameras.....

Not a rant, but a question;

I need a small camera that records reasonable quality for about 20 mins of footage - I want to film my daughter and I racing around 'yer tiz' MTB singletrack.

I can lap in about 20 mins with her attached to the bike and would like to record the lap. I am testing a product that I have designed and built. I will have to mount the camera to look back at us.

Any ideas on what camera, sd card (if required) and mounts welcome.

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    dog cam bullet is cheapish if thats what you want, will probably get lots of vibration. If want good picture contourhd or gopro are standard.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Have look at the archives of the Techmoan blog. Enjoyable and informative reviews of numerous tech stuff including mini cameras. Something like the 808#16 with an external USB battery might do you.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I am going for a go pro hero 2, no point getting anything else as I can use it for so many things I do and coming from the video industry the quality is stunning
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Got a smartphone? For alpha testing there's your answer.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    SimonAH wrote:

Nokia's were never known for their cameras :wink:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    How decent is needed? The MD80 clones on eBay are fine and they're the same as the Muvi cameras that go for 70ish in shops, but about a tenth of the price. Quality is average, 640x480 and needs decent light.
    Then when you need a great pic go to an HD Hero.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    have you thought of one of those 'muvi' camera's...? you can get about 90mins+ on the mini disc memory card thingy - available on ebay for under £50 i think...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope is Jeremy Rundle!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    redvee wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Pfft - like I would use any of their sh*te! iPhone, with a battery that last 5 minutes.

2 votes for the HD hero so far........

Do I need any specific PC software to run/edit or save the movie? Cheap is the name of the game here!
  • EKE_38BPM
    gtvlusso wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Pfft - like I would use any of their sh*te! iPhone, with a battery that last 5 minutes.

Do I need any specific PC software to run/edit or save the movie? Cheap is the name of the game here!

If cheap is what you're after, an MD80 clone is what you want. This one is £11 but there are cheaper ones than this one if you search for a bit.
    This is by far the cheapest HD Hero I've ever seen. £37 compared to the ~£160 I've seen everywhere else.

I've got an MD80 clone and its a bit pants. Rubbish in low light, not quite good enough to pick out registration plates under non-optimal conditions and my one now only has a very short battery life (possibly due to overcharging on my part), but very small.
    The HD Hero looks the part (I've never used one, so can't offer a personal opinion) but it is big (relatively) and you look like an idiot with one strapped to your helmet.

• whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    These are good, teeny tiny thing, good picture quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/808-16-Pocket ... 4cfd3b6f9d
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

If cheap is what you're after, an MD80 clone is what you want. This one is £11 but there are cheaper ones than this one if you search for a bit.
    This is by far the cheapest HD Hero I've ever seen. £37 compared to the ~£160 I've seen everywhere else.

I've got an MD80 clone and its a bit pants. Rubbish in low light, not quite good enough to pick out registration plates under non-optimal conditions and my one now only has a very short battery life (possibly due to overcharging on my part), but very small.
    The HD Hero looks the part (I've never used one, so can't offer a personal opinion) but it is big (relatively) and you look like an idiot with one strapped to your helmet.

Is that really a GoPro HD? Have you bought one EKE?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope is Jeremy Rundle!
    :lol: I thought that too. Had to check his sig for comments about squirrels.
  • EKE_38BPM
    symo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Is that really a GoPro HD? Have you bought one EKE?
    It says it is, but that price seems too good to be true. I haven't got a GoPro.

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    gtvlusso wrote:

Depending on the camera used will depend on which file type you'll be watching but VLC will handle most file types out of the box with no additonal codecs needed. Windoz Movie Maker might be able to handle the files produced but it is basic, Sony Vegas can be had from Amazon for £25.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.