Slits and nicks in tyres

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
What do people do when the nick is deep enough that it's gone through the puncture resistant layer and visible from the inside but the casing is still intact. Reluctant to bin a fairly new tyre so I just stuck a patch on the inside. Anything else that I can do? Previously I've used a tyre boot cut out of a plastic bottle but that eventually caused the tube to fail because the edge rubbed against the rubber.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Super-glue?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Super-glue?

But if you do that you are sticking something that's non flexible and hard and sharp in the tyre! It doesn't strike me as a very logical solution!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    carefully position a thin piece of rubber to stop the flow of the fluid when the hole gets penetrated

where's my coat?
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,342
    Rolf F wrote:
    Super-glue?

But if you do that you are sticking something that's non flexible and hard and sharp in the tyre! It doesn't strike me as a very logical solution!

The 'vulcanising' stuff that you get with patches might work, although tubes and tyres are quite different compounds I think.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    iclestu wrote:
    carefully position a thin piece of rubber to stop the flow of the fluid when the hole gets penetrated

where's my coat?
    All that nice stuff EKE_38BPM said about you has just been rescinded by this filthy smut post :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Trouble with that is that it needs the oxygen to dry it. Might be doable though if you can open the slit enough to get the glue separately on both sides of the slit.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Personally, I tend to ignore them and ride the tyre for another few-thousand miles.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I just use shoe-goo or freesole. Seems to work. (Nasty toxic stuff while it cures though)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Shoe goo. You can also get flexible super glue which works but doesn't last as well. Problem I find is that when tyres are pumped to high pressure, these nicks have a habit of opening back up. When I have been unable to stop that happening, I have been known to superglue a section of old tyre on the inside.
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    Wet suit repair glue such as StormSure.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    kelsen wrote:
    iclestu wrote:

where's my coat?
    All that nice stuff EKE_38BPM said about you has just been rescinded by this filthy smut post :wink:
    Shouldn't really speak for anyone else, but I suspect that may actually elevate Iciclestu even further in EKE's opinion.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Noeprene patch on the inside of the tyre should keep it right.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Dip in egg white and leave to dry in sun. Works a treat.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Try urine.

No, that's for car radiators isn't it.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Just buy a new tyre you cheapskate! :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    you cant go wrong with duct tape.....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    mudcow007 wrote:
    you cant go wrong with duct tape.....

when I was in Royal Mail all of the vans where held together with tape, bumpers/wingmirrors etc.