Bike Lock

warreng
warreng Posts: 535
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Hi - I've just started working in central London and commute in from Epsom.

I ride a Specialized Secteur and don't have any spare cash for a commute bike. There isn't any interior parking for me in my office so I'm left to lock up my bike outside- I'm using 2 locks - ABUS Granite X and a ABUS Granite Extreme. I'm on a main road so my question is

Is it at all safe or will it go at some point?
2015 Cervelo S3
2016 Santa Cruz 5010
2016 Genesis Croix de Fer

Comments

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    while 2 d-locks are better than one if a thief has the equipment to quickly break one d-lock then they have the equipment to quickly break 2 d-locks.

most people seem to recommend you using 2 different types of lock - a d-lock plus a thick cable lock etc. The average thief is less likely to carry around enough equipment to break 2 locks apparently...

Either way it'll make other, lesser locked up bikes more attractive to steal than yours.

Have you thought about bike insurance? You can get it from around £45 I think
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Wow, your Granite Extreme costs £146 on Amazon; for that you could have got a second-hand bike just for commuting!

Given that you can't park the bike inside, my advice would be to beg/borrow/steal the £100-£150 you'd need to buy a second-hand commuting bike. It'll give you peace-of-mind and if it does get nicked it won't be a big deal. Looking on gumtree there's lots at that price (and under).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    To be honest you would also do well to remove a wheel and lock it up separately. You want to make sure a thief overlooks your bike because it is more of a pain to steal. The locks are a great start, but if you make it so they have to start re-attaching wheels etc, then you're less likely to have it nicked.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I'm a cynic.

I ride around the block till I find a flashier bike and/or a lesser lock, and I park next to that...
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    while 2 d-locks are better than one if a thief has the equipment to quickly break one d-lock then they have the equipment to quickly break 2 d-locks.

most people seem to recommend you using 2 different types of lock - a d-lock plus a thick cable lock etc. The average thief is less likely to carry around enough equipment to break 2 locks apparently...

Either way it'll make other, lesser locked up bikes more attractive to steal than yours.

They are most unlikely to b carrying around the equipment to break a Granite Extreme...
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Hoopdriver wrote:

They are most unlikely to b carrying around the equipment to break a Granite Extreme...

To be honest I had no idea how good that lock was when I submitted that post, I just passed on advice I'd read elsewhere :)

But you could spend £500 on a lock and it might add 5 mins to the time it took to break it but if a thief wants it, they'll have it whether it's a £400 bicycle or a 15 grand Ducati, you can just make as hard for them as possible.

if I left my bike on the street, I'd definately look into insurance
  • warreng
    It's not just the cash of a new bike - it's getting "another" bike.

I did some searching on youtube and google and it looks like that the locks are pretty much resistant to portable methods of destruction so that reassures me somewhat. I can't see someone turning up with a angle-grinder or a pneumatic bolt-cutter for a bike that's worth £500 - they may as well have the mopeds on the rack next door

No doubt I'll be posting next week with bad news
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver wrote:

To be honest I had no idea how good that lock was when I submitted that post, I just passed on advice I'd read elsewhere :)

But you could spend £500 on a lock and it might add 5 mins to the time it took to break it but if a thief wants it, they'll have it whether it's a £400 bicycle or a 15 grand Ducati, you can just make as hard for them as possible.

if I left my bike on the street, I'd definitely look into insurance
    I agree on the insurance and in fact I wouldn't leave my bike on the street full stop. At home though I ave the toughest chains I can find - in my case a Pragmasis 16mm hardened steel chain guaranteed uncroppable even with Irwin Record 42-inch bolt cutters, and this attached to a ground anchor. Of course they can still saw the frame in half and make off with it to sell the components...
  • warreng
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

I agree on the insurance and in fact I wouldn't leave my bike on the street full stop. At home though I ave the toughest chains I can find - in my case a Pragmasis 16mm hardened steel chain guaranteed uncroppable even with Irwin Record 42-inch bolt cutters, and this attached to a ground anchor. Of course they can still saw the frame in half and make off with it to sell the components...

Oh, thanks a bloody bunch
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • Hoopdriver
    WarrenG wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Oh, thanks a bloody bunch
    I'm just a hopeless optimist...