Patching road tubes - tips?

2»

Comments

• Finale to this story - changed the tube to get home (sidenote : crank bros mini pumps are pretty terribad, although nice and small), at home got the old tube out to see what had gone wrong with the patching.. put a bit of air in.. holds pressure. put a bit more air in.. still holds. It magically fixed itself. I expect it will prove to be unfixed when it comes to me ever needing it.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    Finale to this story - changed the tube to get home (sidenote : crank bros mini pumps are pretty terribad, although nice and small), at home got the old tube out to see what had gone wrong with the patching.. put a bit of air in.. holds pressure. put a bit more air in.. still holds. It magically fixed itself. I expect it will prove to be unfixed when it comes to me ever needing it.

the dreaded 'slow'?

new tube rather than @rse about with a tube you dont trust. They are less than a fiver
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    iclestu wrote:
    Finale to this story - changed the tube to get home (sidenote : crank bros mini pumps are pretty terribad, although nice and small), at home got the old tube out to see what had gone wrong with the patching.. put a bit of air in.. holds pressure. put a bit more air in.. still holds. It magically fixed itself. I expect it will prove to be unfixed when it comes to me ever needing it.

the dreaded 'slow'?

new tube rather than @rse about with a tube you dont trust. They are less than a fiver

No, no, no, no, no!

Failures of valves and around valves themselves aside, there is no (or shouldn't be) such a thing as 'a tube you don't trust'; they aren't doorstep salesmen. They are very simple. Inner tubes either have holes in them or not (no funny jokes about the hole at the valve please :lol: ). If they don't have a hole in them, put them onto a wheel. If they do have a hole in them, fix them. When you have fixed them, put a bit of air in them off the bike (not enough that it's bigger than it is when in the tyre) put it somewhere out of the way for a bit and see if it still inflated a few days later. Then it's ready to use when you need it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I like Rolf. A good old northern tight-wad. :)

Quite right too. Tubes either work or don't. Chucking one away for no reason is wasteful. Waste is bad.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    There does come a point though, say after 3 or 4 repairs, where its time to say goodbye. Even for a northern tightwad like myself!
  • rolf_f
    CiB wrote:
    I like Rolf. A good old northern tight-wad. :)

Quite right too. Tubes either work or don't. Chucking one away for no reason is wasteful. Waste is bad.

Thank you! I also re-use cable end ferrules :lol:
    BigMat wrote:
    There does come a point though, say after 3 or 4 repairs, where its time to say goodbye. Even for a northern tightwad like myself!

I don't count the repairs on a tube. It punctures, I patch it. But the tubes tend to end up getting rotated around and I'm not sure I've achieved a four patch tube yet. Punctures are rare and no reason for them not to be. I reckon 1 per 2500 miles. 1 per 5000 miles if I discount the self inflicted ones.
  • CiB
    BigMat wrote:
    But why should 4 patches being present mean the tube is no longer any use? It's been established that a well-implemented repair is stronger than the original; as long as patches aren't overlapping, previous repairs have no effect at all on a tube's longevity.
  • bigmat
    CiB wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    But why should 4 patches being present mean the tube is no longer any use? It's been established that a well-implemented repair is stronger than the original; as long as patches aren't overlapping, previous repairs have no effect at all on a tube's longevity.

It starts to get a bit heavy!
  • CiB
    BigMat wrote:
    Inflate with helium, or eat fewer pies; whichever comes easiest to you. :wink:
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    as a (supposedly) thrifty Scotsman I feel a little reprimanded.

Not enough to change my mind tho.... its a fiver ffs!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • rolf_f
    BigMat wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Do you know this or do you just sort of feel that it ought to be getting a bit heavy?! Not saying a well patched tube is one to use on the Fred Whitton but is the weight of a few puncture patches going to have any effect on your commute? :wink:

Just to be helpful, I did google the weight of puncture patches and didn't spot anything useful which suggests the weight weenies haven't yet started weighing patches - thankfully :lol:
  • bigmat
    Rolf F wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Do you know this or do you just sort of feel that it ought to be getting a bit heavy?! Not saying a well patched tube is one to use on the Fred Whitton but is the weight of a few puncture patches going to have any effect on your commute? :wink:

Just to be helpful, I did google the weight of puncture patches and didn't spot anything useful which suggests the weight weenies haven't yet started weighing patches - thankfully :lol:

I wasn't being entirely serious, but if I was setting up a bike for a long hilly ride - the Marmotte, say, or an Etape - then I would probably go for brand new lightweight tubes and the weight of a repair would be as big a factor as the secureness of the repair. Probably only a psychological difference, but it all adds up. For the commute, I will use anything that is serviceable!