Eccentric BB problems

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an ongoing issue with the EBB fitted to a GT Peace9r, the thing keeps losing its tension and the only advice I have found it to ensure I don't overtighten the retaining bolts on the underside of the shell.

However I have to adjust it after every 2nd ride, tightened it as much as I dare but is this a part on its way out or what else?

thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics of the bolts? what type of clamp is it?

is it moving or is the chain losing tension?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Redhog14
    I'll post up pics when Ican of the bolts. But it is almost certainly the BB that is moving as I have marked the shell with the correct tension points (as I see them..) and after one short ride they had moved.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    a guess; strip off the crank, loosen the EBB bolts and slide the EBB out. where the bolts pinch the EBB, is the surface of the EBB damaged?

if so then one possible solution is to rotate the EBB to its secondary location (for each correct tension point below the horizontal, there will be an identical one above) hopefully it's far enough away form the damage for the bolts to bite properly. Or buy a new EBB insert
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Redhog14
    Update: I took the bolts out and they seemed fine, I also moved the position ofthe BB to the oppostite end of the shell (forward postition) and used loctite on the retaining bolts. Has held firm eversince.