Sr suntour dilema !!!

dflash
dflash Posts: 32
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone today I just bought my first professional MTB The specialized hardrock sport disc it has a 2012 Sr suntour xcm v3 mlo suspension fork. On the web sr suntour says that the Xcm travel is 100/80 mm but on the specialized site it says the bike has ( the fork ) 80 mm travel. I looked at my fork and there was no adjustment knobs for the travel only for the lockout and reload. The DILEMA and the question is that can I adjust my form's travel to 100 mm or not? And I don't know ho to measure the travel so give me a tip :D

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It only has 80mm travel on the Hardrock. Suntour make two versions of the same fork.
    To be honest it's a pretty poor quality fork, I would rather have 80mm of un-damped suspension rather than 100mm.
    I had a Hardrock & replaced the form with a Rockshox Tora 100mm fork which makes a vast improvement to the way the bike rides
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I would rather have 80mm of damped suspension rather than 100mm.

ftfy
  • rockmonkeysc
    I had the XCM, there is no noticable damping. There may be a damper but it doesn't really do anything. The XCR on my wifes bike is marginally better.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

ftfy
    I think he meant what he said - rather have 80mm of undamped suspension than 120mm of undamped suspension.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    You can probably change the travel from 80mm to 100mm by opening up the thing and adjusting it (internal travel adjust, not external knobs to change it), but it's not simple and requires a lot of tools I think. Also the frame geometry will be made to be used with an 80mm travel fork won't it? Still you could use 100mm but if it is possible the only way you're going to be able to do it is by taking the fork apart which I'm guessing you're not willing to do.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I can't see any way to adjust the travel on Suntour XCM coil sprung fork..
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • rockmonkeysc
    You cannot adjust it. Suntour make two versions, one with 80mm travel & one with 100mm travel.
    The Hardrock rides great with a 100mm fork and is still covered by the warrenty.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    cooldad wrote:

ftfy
    I think he meant what he said - rather have 80mm of undamped suspension than 120mm of undamped suspension.

Ah i getcha, I just assumed he meant less damped travel is better than more undamped as is the usual rule of thumb.
  • cooldad
    Which is also true
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SR Suntour XC's work a lot better (less badly) if they are kept clean and the bushes lubed.....

Not all XCM are damped......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Replace it with a Rockshox Recon, available from many good shops - I got mine from TF Tuned because it needed an extra firm spring as well. The difference is night and day, plus the Suntour fork is a big ol' chunk of iron and you'll be trimming off a fair amount of weight.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Well the suntour isn;t the best shock in the world, and its probably the first thing to upgrade on the Hardrock, but the OP just shelled out ca £500 on a bike, and possibly doesn't want to spend another £200 or so making it better right away. The bike is OK as it stands, but can be made better for sure.

Live with what you have for the time being - at least you know what to change when you feel the need to upgrade
  • cooldad
    Recon Silver is around £100 from On One and will make a significant difference.

But in answer to the OP's actual question. No, nothing you can do.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools