changed wheel - cassette/rear d problem?

ollie cb
ollie cb Posts: 783
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I run chorus 11 speed 12-27 53/39.

I had the cassette taken off my fulcrum 3 rear and put onto a shamal ultra rear wheel. when i got home, i put the rear wheel on the bike and flipped the bike upside down to clean a couple of bits.

Now, there is great resistance when i rotate the cranks when the bike is upside down and if i spin the crankls anti-clockwise, the rear derailleur slaps all over the place along with the chain.

If I remove the rear wheel and spin the cranks, there is no resistance at all and everything works as normal so it is obviously not a massive problem.

Does it sound like the rear derailleur needs to be re-indexed? Or perhaps that the cassette wasn't put on the freehub correctly? There is a 2mm gap between the 27T ring on the cassette and the hub on the rear wheel. I don't normally inspect this area in detail but as i have a problem, i think this must need to be flush?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    You will probably find out that the drivetrain is not designed to run upside down or the pulley cage would have been placed upside down.
    There is nothing wrong with your bike, I would say
    left the forum March 2023
  • ollie cb
    hahaha superb! thanks for the prompt reply. i feel like an idiot now...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as most wheels are not the same and you have changed wheels and cassette it would say yes reset your gears.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    But Shamals and Fulcrums are same manufacturer so less likely anything needs re-adjusting in that respect anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nicklouse
    Rolf F wrote:
    But Shamals and Fulcrums are same manufacturer so less likely anything needs re-adjusting in that respect anyway.
    means absolutly nothing. give me 10 wheels from the same maker and brand and i would be suprised if any 2 did not need adjustment.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ollie cb
    Yes I just had a bit more of a play, this time with the bike the correct way up and i do indeed get the same issues. Time to adjust the gears. Many thanks for the input everyone.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    You are rotating the pedals anti-clockwise? i.e the opposite way to normal? Is the freehub body sticking slightly?
  • ollie cb
    Yes anti clockwise.

The freehub body isn't sticking when the rear wheel is off the bike; i can spin the cassette very freely.

however when i put the wheel on the bike, there is resistance when pedalling normally, ie clockwise at a couple of parts of the revolution and when spinning anti clockwise, the chain slaps with the rear derailleur sort of pinching.

I have had a fiddle with the setup but to no avail.

everything is well lubed and all the groupset components have seen less that 1k miles and were brand new. maybe time to take to the LBS as I'm stumped.

I go back to an original question though. should the cassette sit tight/flush onto the rear hub? like i say, there is a small space in between 27T sprocket and the hub
  • nicklouse
    AHH did you move the spacer? look on the old wheel. it fits on first.
  • ollie cb
    Nick, there is indeed no spacer on the shamal but there isn't on the fulcrum 3 either.

So i just went out to cycle down to my LBS to get the issue resolved. I stopped at 3 junctions and traffic lights trying to prevent removing my cleats from the pedals. Upon trying to balance, my chain was slapping all over the place and was going completely slack nearly causing me to topple over. (of course it's minimal and one doesn't think about it but standing still on the bike requires you to pedal anti clockwise only a few degrees and this was enough for my chain to slacken).

I then got onto the open road and shifting was perfect. Next junction i came up to, the chain did not slacken at all. So i decided not to go to the LBS straight away and changed my route.

25 miles later and i am now home. absolutely no issues with the chain doing it any more now (even with the bike upside down ugo :D)

So all in all, a rather odd problem which seems to have resolved itself! If it happens again, i'll go to the LBS and them write an update here as it's rather confusing.

thanks to all those who offered solutions.
  • nicklouse
    opps as there was no mention of gear maker the only think i could think of was the shimano spacer issue. (did not take note of the wheel makes either :oops: )

I am now thinking it could be somthing in the body.

Or if they are brand new wheels the grease in the body has now sorted its self out.

the history of the wheels? new, new to you or.....
  • ollie cb
    New to me but the rear is basically new (brand new rim etc).

I have had about 5 sets of fulcrums and this is my second pair of campagnolo wheels. They are better than any others, ie the bearings are silky smooth and they roll forever.

The freehub doesn't tick loudly when free wheeling like other rear wheels i've had but if it required greasing/re-greasing, i would have thought my LBS would have noticed when putting the cassette on the wheel since they always seem to pick up on stuff like that.