£500 MTB for a large guy

A[L]C
A[L]C Posts: 30
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone recommend a MTB for my friend. Looking for a hard tail for the trails around Swinley forest, so nothing major. Max price of £500 (stupid company rule on the cyclescheme), and he's rather large at 6 foot and 19 stone 6. Was thinking something maybe like this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec031669

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I think he would be best off with a Voodoo Hoodoo from Halfords or Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon.

They are generally regarded as the best mtbs at this price level.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Ooh just read the cycle scheme so depends where your voucher is valid.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • A[L]C
    A[L]C Posts: 30
    Thanks, he could get the RR, but halfords isn't included.

I've got the RR, so have already recommended this :D
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    The bike will be OK at his weight.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    The forks on the Norco will be flexy, it only has 28mm stanchions but 29" wheels!

The Rock Rider looks like the better spec/deal.

Just keep in mind that at nearly 20 stone he will need to fit stiffer fork springs, having said that they're not particularly expensive.
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    I have the RR and im 21 stone. I had no problems at all, it takes my weight very well. Ive even had a couple of crashes and everything was find except a buckled back wheel, but Im sure everyone get one from time to time.
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)