New Bike Advice

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I am going to be getting an new bike in September and the bike browsing has already started. I know 3 months early, but its important. I am currently considering the 2012 Giant Defy 2 for £799. I am after something with at least a Tiagra groupset, for around the £800 mark.

Could anyone else recommend any other bikes around this price mark, as I want to fully consider my options before taking the plunge. I have looked at ribbles/planetx options but as soon as I add the Tiagra group set they start to get quite pricey.

Comments

• NITR8s
    Thanks I likey too, (defo better colour scheme) and comes with Easton wheels(nice). Defo another one to consider.

Although I am only 5 foot 4, so would need the 50cm frame. Which it appears hargreaves dont stock.
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    I've got to say i've been eyeing up some of the Ribble Sportive bikes, seem to be pretty reasonably priced and specced. But then i'm still a bit of a rookie when it comes to roadies. Could be worth a look though.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • NITR8s
    ricklilley wrote:
    I've got to say i've been eyeing up some of the Ribble Sportive bikes, seem to be pretty reasonably priced and specced. But then i'm still a bit of a rookie when it comes to roadies. Could be worth a look though.

Your right, you can spec up a decent ride. However, the following concerns me,

1) Not able to try before you buy, I would like to have a ride at least on frame before I commit.

2) I was looking at getting it under the cyclescheme and they charge an extra fee to do this.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    NITR8s wrote:
    Although I am only 5 foot 4, so would need the 50cm frame. Which it appears hargreaves dont stock.

Surely that's a massive advantage?

Whenever I've looked around for a new bike, the cheap deals only seem to be on the 50cm and 60cm frame sizes - so that should be ideal for you...
  • NITR8s
    Singleton wrote:
    NITR8s wrote:

Surely that's a massive advantage?

Whenever I've looked around for a new bike, the cheap deals only seem to be on the 50cm and 60cm frame sizes - so that should be ideal for you...

Yer it is, but you will always find that the size your looking for is the size they dont have in stock. Its sods law.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    NITR8s wrote:
    Yer it is, but you will always find that the size your looking for is the size they dont have in stock. Its sods law.

Yeah probably :?

Maybe you need to find someone looking for a 56 and go shopping with them..... One of you is bound to find a bargain :)
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    Fair points there. I'm only about an hour from Preston so i'd be paying a visit to the shop before i ordered one.

As for the cyclesheme, theres not much you can do about that one. When the company i work for did ours, we had to order through cyclesolutions which limited our choices a bit. So i cheekily went and tried out some bikes at a LBS and got some free advice before ordering. I do make a point of using the shop regularly as some recompense though lol.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB