Have been given a chance of a very cheap upgrade - HELP!

Paulchatwin
Paulchatwin Posts: 11
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I had a previous thread where I mentioned that after numerous problems with an Apollo Phaze from Halfords, they would consider upgrading for a good price. Well I have the options and just need you expert opinions please.

Offer 1: Carrera Crossfire 1 for £10
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65534#tab1

Offer 2: Carrera Subway 2011/2012 for £50
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65534#tab2

Offer 3: Carrera Valour for for £40
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab2

My riding will be 80% light trails (may be harder one day) and 20% road hence looking at hybrids. Have been told that the Valour would be fine on roads if I changed the tyres hence still in for consideration.

Any comments would be very welcome - thank you

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I don't know how much you paid before but I'd personally probably have the Subway. You won't be lumbered with a poor fork then.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Deffo the subway. Solid, dependable bike. Will be easier if you want to resell it later too.
  • Of those the Subway, but a solid fork is't for everyone even on light off-road trails. At least your money goes into other components rather than lots of low end bits and a poor fork.

If you do want a suspension fork and better components i'd ask what sort of deal you could get on a Voodoo Bantu - ggood spec for off road riding , but will be harder work with the fitted tyres on-road.
  • Hi All

Many thanks for the replies. I was favouring the subway as well. I will ask about the Voodo but i'm not sure I can stretch that far unless they offer a bigger discount.
  • Well i'm back and have a nice Carrera Subway. Couldn't be more happy with it :)

Thanks guys for your help and comments - can't wait to take it out on a proper ride now, ended up costing £45 on top of the £170 I had paid for the Phaze!

I must say that the guy I dealt with in Halfords Canterbury (Dan) was amazing - incredibly knowledgable and explained (in detail) the differences (pros and cons) between the bikes in my price range.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This thread should be brought up next time someone is slagging Halfords off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    This thread should be brought up next time someone is slagging Halfords off.

Well I did have my problems with one particular member of staff - the one who built my original bike but I now know of two members of staff there who I would definitely trust but in Dan's case, he lives for bikes - very enthusiastic. In-fact after I met him and said I would like to take up his offer of an upgrade he said "lets go look at bikes then" and you could tell it was his passion.