What tyres for Cwm Carn or Afan?

giraffeinbath
giraffeinbath Posts: 26
edited June 2012 in Routes
It's years since I went up there, what's a good tyre for those trails at this time of year?

Choice to hand:

Schwalbe Racing Ralph
Panaracer Trailrakers
Panaracer XC Pro
Hutchinson Scorpion (how old are they!)
Panaracer CG XC

If all of those would be rubbish feel free to introduce a wild card....but that's not going to help me tomorrow ;)

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Whatever's fitted. It doesn't get particularly muddy or anything, so Trail Rakers would be bottom of my list. I'd use the Ralphs of that lot.
  • Plenty of rain in the last 2 weeks with little sunshine in between (Saturday, yesterday and today being the only days its not bucketted down !); more rain forecast for rest of the week which might sway a decision short term.
  • Rode there in the wet in april, and used 2.2 conti rubber queen upfront and a 2.2 conti race king rear, both in black chilli compound. For me they were absolutely flawless. In fact i'll use them all year round. I know their not on your list but thought i'd share the info anyway.
    Canyon Strive 8.0 AL. 20013
    Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 09
    Gary Fisher X caliber 00
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're both very much all weather trails, yes they get a bit splashy and wet, but I'd ride Furious Freds round there frankly! Not saying it would be much fun, but I can't see you'd ever need more than a Ralph.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    round rubber ones, preferably with air in them :twisted:

seriously, just ride there with what you'd ride anywhere else on :D