are bagels good or bad?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
bagels seem to get a lot of plugging in training diets for pretty much most sports from what i have seen. what is it that makes them good to have? i am currently looking for something a bit different and still very good for me to have either when i get up or in from work(i work nights so these times are a little odd) so i have thought hmm a bagel, but googling them they seem high in calories so maybe not best idea?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Forget them - they are just a trendy (=expensive) way of eating stale bread!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    They have more calories.

If this is a concern you would better off making your own bread then it can be as interesting as you make it. You can add herbs, spices, garlic, honey, potato, any type of flour etc.

If you make it sweet you have to post in The all new Cake Stop :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Not great as a regular part of your diet (like every breakfast), they're fairly high calorie and the carbs will trigger a blood sugar response (with the whole fat conversion and hunger stuff following). That's white bagels anyway, wholemeal ones are probably better. As a pre or post exercise snack they're not too bad though.
    You want something higher protein as a regular part of your diet for breakfast (omelettes etc.)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Rolf F wrote:
    You don't really get proper bagels over here in the UK
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

The ones from Brick Lane are OK.
    As for their aiding and abetting sporting prowess, I refer you to the Bumper Book of Jewish Sports Stars.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    New York bakery bagel with peanut butter = unmeasurable awesomeness

New York bakery bagel with spinach leafs and scrambled egg on top = life changing
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Rolf F wrote:
    :lol: spoken like a true yorkshireman
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    <Consumes at least 1 bagel per day and I'm not dead or obese yet.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Wholemeal or seeded bagels are fine and not full of calories imo. Just don't have butter or spread and put something healthy on the top.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    A bagel is just bread in a particular shape, so whether it is good or bad depends on the same criteria that apply to bread. Fresh & wholemeal = good, processed & white = bad.

Bread is a high-carb food, but you need to eat carbs, and if you are really hungry it's better to have a big lump of wholemeal bread or a wholemeal bagel (which contains nutrients and fibre and releases energy slowly) than to have a salad and then end up pigging out on cakes and crisps later on because you are still hungry. The trick is to eat the correct amount of good quality high carb foods to match your energy expenditure.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Something that simple that can't be replicated over here really has to be a bit demented. Anyway, I've tried them in New York and the texture was just the same as they are here - like half set araldite :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Why would you pay for a bread that has been taken a hole out of? And they even make it more expensive for less bread? Amazing how people fall for this...
  • Hoopdriver
    klep wrote:
    Why would you pay for a bread that has been taken a hole out of? And they even make it more expensive for less bread? Amazing how people fall for this...
    Bagels are not just donut shaped bread. They are entirely different - different recipe, different process to make. As I said before you don't really get proper bagels here in the UK
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    As I said before you don't really get proper bagels here in the UK

I expect London's the various E.European bakeries might be at odds with that...
  • Hoopdriver
    DesB3rd wrote:

Who cares?
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    DesB3rd wrote:

Who cares?

KILLER PUTDOWN!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!1!11
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    giant man wrote:
    Wholemeal or seeded bagels are fine and not full of calories imo. Just don't have butter or spread and put something healthy on the top.
    Unless you've already stuffed yourself beyond your intake for the day, there is no panic. My first breakfast of the day is 800cals worth. Bagel,banana and yoghurt is second breakfast. Two other meals after than + what I eat post swim/run and/or on the bike.
    neeb wrote:
    A bagel is just bread in a particular shape, so whether it is good or bad depends on the same criteria that apply to bread. Fresh & wholemeal = good, processed & white = bad.

Bread is a high-carb food, but you need to eat carbs, and if you are really hungry it's better to have a big lump of wholemeal bread or a wholemeal bagel (which contains nutrients and fibre and releases energy slowly) than to have a salad and then end up pigging out on cakes and crisps later on because you are still hungry. The trick is to eat the correct amount of good quality high carb foods to match your energy expenditure.
    100%