Mudguards for Trek 2.1 2012

lauprok
lauprok Posts: 11
edited September 2012 in Workshop
Hi all,
I've been searching the web all day trying to find out which mudguards will actually fit my Trek 2.1 2012 and I've had no luck at all and thought I'd ask if anyone on here has the same bike and fitted mudguards successfully.
I bought a set of SKS Narrow road muguards and the rear fits ok, but on the front there is no clearance between the fork and the tyre as it doesn't seem to fit all the way up inside the fork as the fork is too narrow at the top for It to fit correctly.
Can anyone suggest any suitable mudguards? I do want full mudguards as its my commute/crappy weather bike.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Since they are a Trek sister company I would suspect that Bontrager mudguards should fit your Trek 2.1

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CF0Q8wIwAg

Failing that call your nearest Trek dealership. I'm sure that when I was looking at buying a Trek Madone 3.5 earlier this year the LBS guy said that the 3.5 had special screw-in eyelets to fit mudguards. These were supplied by Trek specially to fit the Madones. If they fit a Madone frame they will fit your 2.1

Not sure if this is 100% accurate but call your Trek guy to confirm.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    edited September 2012
    This is a known issue with Trek road race bikes (2.1, 2.3 etc).
    The frames have mudguard fittings, but the is a lack of suitable clearance on the front fork for ANY full mudguards.

When I was exploring a replacement for my stolen bike, I did go into CycleSurgery in Bristol and had a look at the Trek 1.*, 2.* range of Alu bikes with mudguard fittings.
    The blokes there told me that any slim mudguard "should fit". So I said "here is a deposit", you fit some full length guards by the time I get back and it's bought. No mudguards= full refund.

When I got back they had tried the SKS and TorTec superslims. Non fitted. They called the Trek Rep. He responded that Trek do not make any full length mudguards for the bikes, and to his knowlege non have been found to fit.

I chose to buy a Genesis Equilibrium instead.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've got one of those and the only thing I can make work is a race blade on the front - even the skinny crudcatcher ones were a tough fit without rubbing.

At the moment I have a race blade on the back and nothing on the front - works reasonably well and I have just ordered a new bike which will definitely take full guards so will be used mostly in the wet from now on.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • lauprok
    Thanks guys for the info. Really miffed that I'm having this problem because the main reason I bought the Trek was because it had mudguards eyelets. Thought I'd done a fair amount of research too but never thought to check something like mudguard fitting :cry:
    k-dog wrote:
    I've got one of those and the only thing I can make work is a race blade on the front - even the skinny crudcatcher ones were a tough fit without rubbing.

Is it worth me buying a set of race blades and sticking one on the front? Did it fit and look ok?
    arlowood wrote:
    They called the Trek Rep. He responded that Trek do not make any full length mudguards for the bikes, and to his knowlege non have been found to fit.

I think before I spend anymore money I'll contact Trek direct and ask them about the Bontrager ones. If they can't tell me 100% that they fit I'll have to go with a SKS and race blade combo.
  • lauprok
    Just updating this thread incase it's of use for anybody else struggling with mudguards for a trek 2.1 bike.

I contacted Trek and their response was, "For that bike, the Bontrager Approved fenders will fit. An alternative would also be the Crud Road Racers – these are a different design but are aimed specifically at higher end road bikes."

I ordered the Bontrager 35mm mudguards and have fitted them today (although no instructions). The rear was no problem but the front was an absolute pain to get right. I had to really put a lot of pressure on the mudguard to shove it as far up the forks as possible because the tyre was touching. I've managed to get it so the wheel spins without rubbing, but there is not really any clearance at all.
    I've not been out on the bike to test them yet but I'm a bit worried that a stone or twig may get stuck. I'll update if they don't work out.
  • How did you get on?

I just cancelled the deposit I had on the 2013 Madone 2.1 - I really want 25mm tyres and mudguards, and if the fork is the same, it sounds as though it will be a problem
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I have a racelight Tk which is a winter trainer with long drop brakes and clearance for guards

It has full SKS chromoplastics and I run 25mm tyres, and even then I get the occasional twig or chunk of gravel scraping round between tyre and guard. Especially bad on some of the newly resurfaced roads at the moment.

I can't imagine what it would be like with less clearance than this!
  • With a bit of messing about I've ended up putting a SKS on the rear of my Trek 2.1 because I prefer the coverage and I've got a race blade on the front. Not really very happy with the mudguards and any loose gravel gets stuck under the front mudguard and makes a scraping noise until it evetually falls out. Doesn't happen often, but when it does it annoys the hell out of me. The rear SKS mudguard has snapped three times in the few months I've been using the bike and it now taped up. Don't think it's a problem with the SKS as I had a larger version on my old hybrid for 18 months without any issues. I think that's because I've had to bodge it a little to fit.
    Tried a set of Bontrager mudguards, the front had no clearance on my 23mm tyres and the wheel rubbed and the rear kept coming to bits at the mounts.
    Overall not very happy because I chose the Trek over other bikes as I'd bought it to use it as a winter bike.
    Other than the Mudguard problem the Trek is a very nice bike and can't fault it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's the reason I ended up with the Racelight. 5 years ago I was lusting after a Trek 1.5 or a Cannondale Synapse, but the mudguard issue put me off because I like to be able to ride all year round. I'm glad now that practical considerations prevailed over a flashy paintjob. (I still have a soft spot for Cannondales in the Liquigas colours though)
  • Funny thing is, I ended up putting the deposit on the Trek, because the Racelight TK2 I was going to buy was out of stock in my size, but now the TK3 has been announced, I should be able to get one of those in my size. Sounds like the right option as it's basically going to be used throughout the winter for commuting and training.

Disappointing with the Trek though - it's so hard to find a decent winter bike these days with real mudguard mounts, and what with old bikes becoming trendy, it's not even that easy to pick up an old frame on the cheap.