Insurance Claim

elgringo
elgringo Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all, I am looking for some advice.

A car cut in front of me on the approach to a roundabout on my commute back home tonight.

Due to the speed of the car 30mph approx and me 18mph approx I had no choice but to go on the inside and pass. Unfortunately the car clipped by back wheel as it also took off from the roundabout and it now needs a true or replacement rim/spokes. I will visit the wheel shop for an assessment tomorrow the wheel is still rideable but very out of true.

The car did stop and admitted they cut in front of me and they were to blame so we exchanged information. Later on I got a phone call from the owner’s partner saying we can sort it out without the insurance company. They have to pay a 200 quid excess which will be lower than the wheel repair which they are willing to pay for.

I want to know where I stand. Should I recall the police and tell them the owned refuses to give insurance information? Or should Igo and price the repair and text it to them and see what happens.

I would prefer not to make them lose money as the driver was quite upset and feels sorry. I just want to know if I will be out of pocket if I don’t do thing and contact their insurance company.

Comments

• ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    If they have agreed to settle up the bill with going through the insurance, then personally i would go for it. As long you aren't injured and your bike is fixed then all is good.

However if they start getting funny about paying the bill after getting a quote for the repair, then get onto the police/insurance.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Agree - I got knocked off by a driver opening their door - front wheel was gone - the driver took me and bike to the lbs for repair - left it there - took me to college (long time ago!!) and picked me up afterwards - back to shop and paid for the wheel - no insurance required - it was a mistake and they admitted it with good grace - no need to take further.