The grasp part of my Shimano Hoods....wish it was more comfy

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I really should pick up a set of 5600 Shimano 105 shifters to complete my groupset, but in the meantime I am making do with Sora ones. My gripe with the Shimanos Im using is that I find where the thumb and fingers grasp the hood to be a wee bit uncomfortable. Ive seen pics of bikes in the mags and I pay attention to how the shifters/hoods are positioned on the bars. In a perfect world id mount shifters so as the flat section ran parallel with the ground , kind of like at 0 degrees, but I just dont understand how riders can use shifters mounted like that :? When I try it, it hurts me right in the curve between my thumbs and forefingers and I simply HAVE to rotate the bars back towards me which results in the shifters rising too. When I then grasp the hoods, it removes the hand pains that the flatter shifter mounting gives me.The riders who can comfortably use their shifters / hoods in the flat position, particularly those with significant bar-saddle drop which would increase the weight upon the hands......technically what are they doing to make this possible ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Raffles wrote:
    .technically what are they doing to make this possible ?
    They were born from different parents. There is no correct or standard way to position your hoods, only what works best for you. Go and enjoy your new painless position and realise that no one will notice.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    There is no correct or standard way to position your hoods, only what works best for you.
    +1

Also do you wear gloves? They help alot comfort wise.
  • Raffles
    klep wrote:
    There is no correct or standard way to position your hoods, only what works best for you.
    +1

Also do you wear gloves? They help alot comfort wise.

yeah of course, they are a set of B`Twin which cost about £8.99. Would spending a few quid more on a set of mitts reap any noticeable comfort increase ?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You may need a proper bike fit. Is the frame the right size, is the saddle at the right height and set back, are the bars the right shape and is the stem the right length?

If you have to tilt the levers back, how good a grip do you get on the brakes when in the drops (which is the position that gives you most braking power)?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Raffles
    Rolf F wrote:
    You may need a proper bike fit. Is the frame the right size, is the saddle at the right height and set back, are the bars the right shape and is the stem the right length?

If you have to tilt the levers back, how good a grip do you get on the brakes when in the drops (which is the position that gives you most braking power)?

Fit shouldnt really be an issue, Im 5 ft 8 and bike is size medium , my heel reaches the pedal almost fully extended , knee is over spindle, saddle is titanium railed selle san marco rolls and very comfy and because of my lack of height/flexibility, I use a 90mm stem. Even so, if I set the hoods to parallel with the ground, jeez do I get sore hands.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Get a flat bar and bar ends - much more comfy! :twisted:
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    apreading wrote:
    I've got a big beanbag at home too.

It's comfy, but not very fast.

Can't reach the brakes either.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    apreading wrote:

Or change to SRAM shifters & groupset :P
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    Garryboy wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Comfort is a personal thing, I much prefer Campagnolo shifters as I've got quite small hands - each to their own.

Beware of Shimano 105 5600 version STI levers - they are sold off cheap for a reason, because they had a serious design fault. If you google it you'll see countless instances of left hand shifter failures (I suffered 3 failures that I had to sent back to Shimano). You'd be better off sticking with the Sora levers.

If you want to go with 105 go for the latest 5700 version.
  • bouncyboy
    bouncyboy Posts: 25
    Garryboy wrote:
    apreading wrote:

+1 Sram is by far the most comfortable of al the 3 main groups.
    Bouncy :)

under 16 (A) racer
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    BouncyBoy wrote:

If reach is an issue Campag hoods are shorter. What's comfortable is down to personal taste so less balderdash please :lol: .
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Rolf F wrote:
    BouncyBoy wrote:

If reach is an issue Campag hoods are shorter. What's comfortable is down to personal taste so less balderdash please :lol: .

^ this
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    BouncyBoy wrote:
    Garryboy wrote:
    apreading wrote:

SRAM definitely more comfortable. Shimano more durable though and shifting is smoother.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Just need to tape them better to suit you. I have my hoods set quite high up on the bars, but then double wrap the bar tape starting half way down the hoods to level them out with the top bar.
  • Raffles
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    Just need to tape them better to suit you. I have my hoods set quite high up on the bars, but then double wrap the bar tape starting half way down the hoods to level them out with the top bar.

would you have a pic ?
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Raffles wrote:
    Zoomer37 wrote:

would you have a pic ?

Im in the office so aint got a camera on me, but for example Cav's old bike http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... t--25649/1

Some wrap over old tape, or just double it in places until it feels right.
  • I could be displaying monumental ignorance here (and it wouldn't be the first time) but isn't there a compatability issue between Sora and 105 with one being a 9sp groupset and the other 10?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Fitting the web of your hand to the shifter is a particular problem for riders in Norfolk.
    Try tilting your bars so they point back to the rear axle.
    Raise or lower the hoods on the bars.
    Rotate the hoods about the bars, esp inboard a tad.
    Reprofile the shape of the hood by stuffing strips of inner tube under the hood cover.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Consider your saddle tilt.

You may be putting more pressure on your hands than necessary.