Replacement Wheels

alansd1980
alansd1980 Posts: 201
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Evening All,
The rims on my current wheels (stock shimano that came with the bike) are almost done and I have been advised it would be a good idea to replace them.

Anyone have a recommendation on a reasonably priced set. Less than a couple of hundred quid ideally.

The nice guys in the london bike workshop offered me a deal because I get my bike serviced there on a set of shimano 105 hubs with mavic open pro hubs and double butted spokes.... whatever that means but that would be up just over the 200 quid mark. Is this a very good deal and is it worth spending 25% of the original value of the bike on new wheels??
Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
FCN 4

Comments

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Now, I have no idea because I've just pushed the button on a rear wheel of the same variety myself. But Rutland have what you describe for a bit cheaper.

ACI stainless spokes. Voucher FIVER gives you a fiver off as well.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/23364/Pro ... --32H.html
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    That would be a decent set of wheels. Its what you'd spec for a fast set of commuting wheels or training wheels for a roadie. 10 or 15 years ago they were anodized in pretty colours and sold as high end race wheels (pretty much). Also easy to repair and worth replacing rims or hubs, whatever goes first (rim usually).

No idea of price, sorry. Seem to remember a company called (or trading as) M wheels sells prebuilt wheels of similar spec. They probably also do cheaper mavic/shimano builds for comparison.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Ribble have Fulcrum Racing 5 on offer for £160 with free delivery at the mo... I've bought some and am very happy with them... suitable for training or commuting use...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    still loving my planet x al30's at £150
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    My 105/open sport rear wheel was bombproof until the rim wore out. They were heavy but have needed little if any mainance over the last 20 months. I will take a dive into home wheel building soon to get them running again.

Until then I have decided that commuting wear is too expencive and bought a new set of shimano R500s for £80 (see disposable commuting wheels thread). Had RS10s before, which were OK but better suited to a budget weekend bike then a commuter (or in my case budget everything bike).
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • London-Red wrote:
    Now, I have no idea because I've just pushed the button on a rear wheel of the same variety myself. But Rutland have what you describe for a bit cheaper.

ACI stainless spokes. Voucher FIVER gives you a fiver off as well.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/23364/Pro ... --32H.html
    Hi mate, interested in these - what are they like? Have you put some miles on them yet? I checked the Rutland site to get an idea of weight but there weren't any details. I can't imagine they would be mega light but good for a fast commute? Coupled with decent tyres I'd imagine they would be pretty decent... or would you be better off with R501/RS10 for a fast commuting wheel?
    Anyone got any further opinions on these?
    Cheers!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • london-red
    Can't help you there I'm afraid - I bought them only yesterday, but thought I'd share the link. From what I hear, they are very well rated - not especially exciting, but solid, lightish, and spin well.

There's a few on this board who have used them for a long time though, so may be worth a search.
  • London-Red wrote:
    Can't help you there I'm afraid - I bought them only yesterday, but thought I'd share the link. From what I hear, they are very well rated - not especially exciting, but solid, lightish, and spin well.

There's a few on this board who have used them for a long time though, so may be worth a search.
    Cool, cheers mate I will have a search and see. I think they could be a better option than something like R501's.
    Many thanks,
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • alansd1980
    Found the Mavic rims built onto 105 hubs at Planet x for 130 quid for the set. Seems a bargain and as much as I hate buying online and not supporting local shops at 70quid cheaper there is no choice!
    Just got an email to say they are on the way so looking forward to getting them fitted.
    Need to figure out how to do it so am off to condor to buy some tools!
    FCN 4
  • london-red
    alansd1980 wrote:
    Found the Mavic rims built onto 105 hubs at Planet x for 130 quid for the set. Seems a bargain and as much as I hate buying online and not supporting local shops at 70quid cheaper there is no choice!
    Just got an email to say they are on the way so looking forward to getting them fitted.
    Need to figure out how to do it so am off to condor to buy some tools!

Link please... Can see they have the Open Sports, but not Pros. Good price if so!
  • alansd1980
    My mistake, it is the sport rims I have ordered.

Seems like a decent enough set for commuting and the odd weekend ride though.
    FCN 4