Flipping nonstop p*nctures!!

extrusion
extrusion Posts: 247
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hi all

Wanted some advice on what ive done wrong!

I got myself some conti gp4000s from this very board, and some ultra light inner tubes. Fitted em this morning all good.
Lunchtime come to get on the bike for an awesome long ride at one with nature etc.

Flat tyre on front. On the inside of the tube.

Poops. Easy enough, stick on scab. Pump up, check. Go ride!

100 yards later turn bike upside down and start new repair. Same front wheel, inside of tube, position of hole possibly in the same place on the other side after refitting? Stick on scab. Pump up. Well, at least i get to use my co2 pump thing, first time! Immediately hear the hissing again.

I only had one canister with me, no spare tube. Time to walk home and rethink this! Turned out the scab wasnt stuck properly and let the air straight out again.

Check rim, all seeems fine, possibly, just possibly the tape is slightly off position and revealing a little of the spoke holes in a few places. Could this be what the problem is? I tried to adjust it. Fitted new tube.

Went for another ride, spare tube, scabs and co2 canister and pump with me this time.

7 miles in and hear the now familiar hiss. Again inside of the tube. Fit new tube, getting tired of this. Try to use pump and save co2. Pump is broken?!? Use co2.

Ride home. Spit on floor. Weep softly.

This time i really checked the rim. Nothing in there, only the tape is misaligned. I realigned it again but it seems to like its current position, so not sure how long before it oozes back.

So, do you think the tape needs replacing? Its fairly new wheel. Would the holes have caused the tiny punctures? Or is the tubes too thin? Im nervous about riding now!

Comments

• extrusion
    Forgot to say psi was 100 every time. I weigh 14 stone.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,600
    thin tubes will puncture more easily, there's just less rubber to resist any rough/pointy bits

that weight/pressure won't be the problem

i think i'd just replace the rim tape
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Proper puncture patches are really no more trouble than self adhesive and a thousand times better. And CO2 is probably best viewed as supplementary to a pump and not an alternative!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • extrusion
    Update: did a 25 miler tonight after adjusting rim tape into position. Stocked up on a new pump and inner tubes. 25 miles later no punctures! :D Touch wood/rubber etc.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Get insulting tape and run it around the rim over the tape - weighs nothing and works perfectly: I've used it for 20 odd years as I've always been skint and never had any issues.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    +1 electrical tape.

Are you checking you have no pinches between the inner tube and tyre and rim?
    Are you not puncturing again when replacing the tyre (sloppy with tyre levers/hands etc)
    Is there something protruding THROUGH the tyre into the tube and not the rim causing issues?
  • extrusion
    These all seem valid. But i did a 25 miler last no probs.check the tyre this morning and its flat again.

Did the insulating tape thing. After replacing the tube with one i had prepared last night, it let go as soon as i pumped air into it. Maybe i did catch it with the lever, maybe i didnt repair all punctures.

Sick of it, so put in normal inner tube. Hopefully the thicker rubber will give me a better chance. I have checked the tyre, but maybe i need to be more thorough. To be honest after all the changes my thumbs are killing me and i cant face taking the tyre off again!
  • daveyroids
    daveyroids Posts: 223
    Yossie wrote:
    Get insulting tape and run it around the rim over the tape - weighs nothing and works perfectly: I've used it for 20 odd years as I've always been skint and never had any issues.

I used to use insulating tape, now use duct tape just out of personal choice. Think its a bit tougher. And for normal riding / training I would only use normal tubes, as previously said they can put up with more knocks.
  • extrusion
    Well after another puncture, this time the rear, and the bike had been standing for 2 days okay, I ordered some more tubes and this time very, very carefully put them in, pumping air in the tube to get the last little bit of tyre on and kind of shifting the tube around.

Cue slightly sweary words when the air release bit on the valve snapped so had to insert another one, but eventually both done.

2 days of commute (80 miles) and they're fine. So I think I was just catching them when popping the last bit of tyre on.

Durh! :roll:

Thanks for help.