Les Gets and Morzine ike choice

no9ismine
no9ismine Posts: 45
edited July 2012 in MTB general
I am booked into Alpine Elements for a week early August with my family (first downhill trip)

I am going to hire a bike and will take advantage of their free basic hardtail (Specialized Hardrock Disc) to explore for a couple of days and am trying to find out what would be the best bet for the remaining 3/4 days.

Just going by their website they offer a 120mm Specialized Camber and 170mm/ 200mm Specialized Status 1 downhill bike but am open to any hire suggestions at the moment.

I will be doing XC on the hardtail then concentrating on downhill for the rest. I have done short downhill tracks at Woburn Woods and am a competent XC/ trail rider.

Underlying question is what sort of travel bike should I be looking at bearing in mind that more travel = more money.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    If you're doing the DH tracks at speed, the braking bumps really make lesser bikes a struggle to handle, and Full on DH bikes are almost needed just to make the tracks bearable to say the least. But they are heavier, harder to manage and tiring to keep momentum up if you don't have the skills to keep your hold your speed on the bigger jumps and drops. So really, I'd say something in between your two options if you want to hit the DH tracks but aren't a full on DHer already. Last year I saw some Santa Cruz Butcher's for hire which I think could be ideal to someone still developing DH skills.
  • pholt89
    pholt89 Posts: 56
    When I went I was riding my Marin Quake which is 6.8" travel rear and 160mm forks. I think you wouldn't want to go much less than this. I found the braking bumps a nightmare due to terrible damping on the AM4 forks but on a decent set you should be fine with 160mm.
    The mont important thing though will be to make sure that whatever you hire has the correct spring weight or ideally get something with air forks and shock so you can make sure you're running at least approximately the correct level of sag.
    Also check the brake set up IIRC the French tend to set them up the opisite way round to the UK standard, so left hand lever is front brake and rear brake is right hand lever.
    You will absolutely love it there.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    If your riding the DH tracks then pick a bike with more travel, a 200mm bike would get my vote.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    If you've already got a hardtail for the XC trails, then you may as well just go for a proper DH bike.
    DH doesn't really get any more "proper" than it does in the Alps. Make the most of it.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I rode in Morzine last year on my little Orange 5 (140mm travel) - for me, I found I was on the raggedy edge of riding the DH trails.... The braking bumps are horrendous and without doubt more travel and a beefier bike would have made the whole thing easier and more fun.

Having said that though, I still had a great time! Next time I will take the Kona though :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • no9ismine
    Thanks for all your input.

If I were to go for a 170/180mm freeride type bike what differences would I notice between that and a full on 200mm downhill bike?

And what are the hire shops like in Les Gets/ Morzine with respect to stock, staff etc?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    no9ismine wrote:
    Thanks for all your input.

If I were to go for a 170/180mm freeride type bike what differences would I notice between that and a full on 200mm downhill bike?
    A freeride bike will have slightly steeper angles, and will turn in better, but be slightly less stable at speed.
    Seriosuly dude, if you're going to ride DH, get a DH bike. That's what they're for.
  • bluechair84
    Weight and stability. DH bikes are heavy, slower to turn, less agile than freeride bikes. I do think that a full on DH bike is actually limiting to riders without the skill to handle such beasts and more enjoyment can be had on something lighter, even if that does mean less travel. But, a DH bike will be more stable through the braking bumps so you can take any line you want. And as I said before, if you aren't making the most of the jumps and drops to carry your speed, you have to put energy into getting the bike down the hill and a DH bike is a lot of weight to shunt along.
    Only had minor dealings with one shop but everyone seeemed really great, very helpful.
  • no9ismine
    Well I am used to tackling mild but rooty/bumpy downhill tracks on a 100mm hardtail and like to 'flick' the bike around.

I think I will go for a freeride type bike going by this but still plenty of time to change my mind.

Still open for opinions and particularly about those Morzine/ Les Gets rental shops.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A DH bike makes life a lot easier. I have just gone from a 170mm travel bike to a proper DH bike and it just ploughs through stuff where the shorter travel bike makes you work for it.
  • no9ismine
    Hmm, Does anyone have any experience with hiring from Alpine Elements.

I have seen all the horror stories regarding food and accommodation I just need to know about their bikes.

Thanks
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    You can ride anythign on anything if you want - I have done HT riding all around the PdS area and I have ridden a 6inch FR style ride there too - If you have a HT to explore further afield but want to hire another bike then as Yeehaa says ge=o the whole hog and get a 200mm DH bike.

I personally wouldnt hire from Alpine Elements - go meet some locals and get one of their rigs - you wont spend anymore and you give something back to the local area. We used to use Evasion Sports for our clients - I like the owner, funny guy - go see him, tell him someone who used to work for AlpActive suggested you go in. Probably wont do you any favours though!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bluechair84
    You can ride anythign on anything if you want
    The pedant in me wants to point out that this is true for people with considerable skill and not your average rider looking for a good time.
  • paul.skibum
    The pedant in me wants to point out that this is true for people with considerable skill and not your average rider looking for a good time.

My first trip to the Alps when I was decidedly average we hired Scott SomethingCrap1s - v brakes and some god aweful adjustment free suspension - we rode the avalanche and survived and had fun - I wouldnt do it again in hindsight but it was fun at the time!
  • bluechair84

My first trip to the Alps when I was decidedly average we hired Scott SomethingCrap1s - v brakes and some god aweful adjustment free suspension - we rode the avalanche and survived and had fun - I wouldnt do it again in hindsight but it was fun at the time!
    tbh, I do think back fondly of my days on a steel rigid as a kid and the stuff we did. Maybe I'm just bike-whipped these days. I've started a thread on this question - I hope it doesn't incite forum rage as it's not meant to be antagonising :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    forum rage as it's not meant to be antagonising :)
    ROAR ARGHARGHARGHARGH PFFT! :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    As other people have said, a full on downhill rig may be a bad idea if you're not used to that sort of thing, but plenty of suspension is a good idea, as the braking bumps can be really tough on you, plus there are lots of big jumps etc. You can ride the main trails on anything though, it will just be slower. There's plenty of places to rent bikes from around morzine as well. A friend of mine rented a scott voltage for €69 a day out here today.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bluechair84
    forum rage as it's not meant to be antagonising :)
    ROAR ARGHARGHARGHARGH PFFT! :lol:
    Tbh, forum rage has always created the very best threads :)
  • paul.skibum

tbh, I do think back fondly of my days on a steel rigid as a kid and the stuff we did. Maybe I'm just bike-whipped these days. I've started a thread on this question - I hope it doesn't incite forum rage as it's not meant to be antagonising :)

It's all good baby!

I have posted in your other thread "defending" my position.

For the OP I'd hire a big rig and have a blast - worst case you get hurt, perhaps badly, best case you have the time of your life......I am glad I don't work in sales.
  • no9ismine
    Thanks for all your help, though plans now slightly skewed after a knee operation that is ruling out any cycling whatsoever for a couple of months.

Andy