OT: Floaters....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
So, this guy at work (does not work for me!);

On CV and on paper, looks like dynamite. Takes £50k per annum technical role + health + £7.5k car allowance - very high level tech role.

Has been on a disciplinary for basically being f*cking useless and thick - unable to send him out to customers and he is unable to grasp basic concepts. He has been on disciplinary for a year or so because he is of no use in the role he is in, performance process takes a long time to run through to prove incompetence if you do it properly and follow correct procedure. He has had a million chances to show some willing and a plethora of people have tried to train him. He sits in front of computer looking at FB and Skyping his wife all day - he knows that he will get about a years pay before he is fired....plays the game.

Basically, his CV does not match his actual ability in any way.

Redundancies come up, one has to go from his team - He is chosen because of ongoing process and that he is of no use. As he is made redundant, he is put on a list for other opportunities that match internally by HR automatically - first dibs as such.

He now has a Project Manager role in another business area working out of the same office for the same company - upgrade in salary banding and car allowance.

HR don't even use previous performance appraisals to separate out the 'useless third'.

His team are now severely short of people and have had their RR's cut.

Is this unfair, or is it me?

How is it that some people can just float in and out of well payed jobs and do f*ck all.......

**I remember being told by a senior member of staff at a certain mobile phone provider that the way to get ahead was to get onto a project that goes badly wrong - a badly run project will get you promoted, a well run project will keep you where you are.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ........and you are private sector.....(he says to stir up the militants :-D )
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Someone made it too hard to fire people.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    sounds like he needs to take up cycling so you can introduce him to the BR forum.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sounds like you need to take some advice from him and work out how to get paid more ;).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Why can't I get a job like that?
  • rick_chasey
    At work we often say to our candidates who are under-paid that often the only way of getting paid well, usually what the market pays someone of their experience and role, is to move roles.

Now, naturally, we say that because we want to move people, but it's largely true. It can be done at the same place, but you usually need some sponsorship from higher up the food chain - someone who's willing to spend political capital to get you what you deserve - that's often rare to come by.

This guy's clearly got it sorted - though eventually being lazy catches up with you. By and large it's a question of when rather than if.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I'd be more concerned about the managers overseeing him and the processes in place that make it possible for someone to hold onto such a position :)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Why not get someone to look at his computer records? Isnt said use of Skype pretty extreme? Surely you have an IT policy that is being abused by this behaviour. I think I'd get a rhetorical warning for that sort of thing.

HR sound very conservative at your place. Tail wagging the dog perhaps?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Just D-lock the f*cker
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    If this blokes CV doesnt match his capabilities, he has LIED to get the job. This is called 'Gaining a pecuniary advantage' - I remember investigating a manager of a supermarket some years ago and turning up this offence. She was suspended, I charged her with same and she went to court and was convicted. Supermarket sacked her - no recourse thru tribunal etc. Try this, it will get rid of the problem.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    There's one or two people at my place of work, highly paid but seem to keep getting promoted dispite fecking up in their previous role. Maybe it's true, do your job well - get nowhere: screw up - get promoted.
    I must be doing my job VERY well.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    byke68 wrote:
    There's one or two people at my place of work, highly paid but seem to keep getting promoted dispite fecking up in their previous role. Maybe it's true, do your job well - get nowhere: screw up - get promoted.
    Two things going on here; one is that when people screw up it's easier to promote them out of the way to somewhere else than it is to retrain them or sack them, and the old cliché called The Peter Principle still holds true, where someone is promoted until out of their depth.
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:
    byke68 wrote:
    Two things going on here; one is that when people screw up it's easier to promote them out of the way to somewhere else than it is to retrain them or sack them, and the old cliché called The Peter Principle still holds true, where someone is promoted until out of their depth.

Or what you consider a f*ck up is actually good.... in which case, that might explain why you haven't been promoted.

Though that's obviously harsh and not applicable in your case ;).
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    We have plenty of them here... Recently had a clear out but still lots about.

It is baffling how much someone who is useless can hang onto their job for so long.

I am one of those people who works very hard and is good at what I do. I do much more than is required of me to a higher level yet the goalposts keep being moved. Which makes it even more infuriating when I know several wet blankets in my area get paid more and have less skill than me. Purely because they have been here longer.

Never mind guess that is life :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    twist83 wrote:

It is baffling how much someone who is useless can hang onto their job for so long.

I am one of those people who works very hard and is good at what I do. I do much more than is required of me to a higher level yet the goalposts keep being moved. Which makes it even more infuriating when I know several wet blankets in my area get paid more and have less skill than me. Purely because they have been here longer.

I met a candidate the other day. Seriously bright guy. Does an awful lot on his desk.

Gets paid utter dogsh!te. Guys on his desk with less experience and less responsibility are getting paid probably 70-80% more.

From my perspective, for a guy who's obviously so smart and obviously a) very good at what he does and b) very valuable, I can't understand why he can't get himself paid more.

If what you say is genuinely the case, you need to speak to your manager and explain the situation, and get them to rectify it, or at worst explain why they value you less than those colleagues who are paid more. Else you should look elsewhere.

By and large, we don't work for fun, so it's madness to be paid less than you should/could be paid.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I could get paid more at another shop but then I'd be expected to make myself available for shafting even more than I already do so I dont bother.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    twist83 wrote:

I met a candidate the other day. Seriously bright guy. Does an awful lot on his desk.

Gets paid utter dogsh!te. Guys on his desk with less experience and less responsibility are getting paid probably 70-80% more.

From my perspective, for a guy who's obviously so smart and obviously a) very good at what he does and b) very valuable, I can't understand why he can't get himself paid more.

If what you say is genuinely the case, you need to speak to your manager and explain the situation, and get them to rectify it, or at worst explain why they value you less than those colleagues who are paid more. Else you should look elsewhere.

By and large, we don't work for fun, so it's madness to be paid less than you should/could be paid.

Easier written than done.....

I am going through this at the moment, I am underpaid for the responsibility and decisions I am taking for the business. I have raised this with my manager, he agrees with me; My grade is too low. However, the HR processing and justification is a nightmare - they say that my job spec puts all of this in-scope for my current band, but my job spec is so vague, that you could say that being CEO is in scope of my job spec! I even have subordinates paid more than I am.....yet, I do their appraisals and manage them day to day, it is madness. My appraisals have not dropped below top rank for 2 years now and still nothing is forthcoming......even the bonus scheme is sh*t!

Hence, I am leaving!

** and spending more time on here!