Newish member here

ricklilley
ricklilley Posts: 110
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I signed up on here quite a while ago, and although i've often looked through the forum for various info, i've never actually got around to posting.

I've been mountain biking on and off for about 5/6 years. I started off with a cheap Raleigh full suss (heavy but was always reliable). And then got a Trek hardtail off a guy at work, which ended up getting stripped and rebuilt with a Brand new Handsome Dog frame.

2 years ago i took advantage of the C2W sheme and got myself a road bike (Specialized Allez sport), it took a bit of getting used to as the last roadie i had was an old Apollo, with only 10 gears and shifters on the downtube. Over the last couple of years i've tried to get out on it more and more, and used it to commute some days (7miles each way). I will admit to being a fair weather rider, and sometimes lack the motivation to get it out of the shed and go out.

So as an added incentive i have signed up for the York 100(Km) in August, and have recently been trying to increase my distances. Just done my longest ride so far this morning, a steady 40 miles. I only averaged 13mph, but this was probably due to struggling with some of the hills on my way back home.

Anyway just thought i'd say hello properly at long last.
Specialized Allez sport 2010
Handsome Dog framed MTB

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Welcome, sort of.

If you have done already 40 miles then the 60 miles by August will be no problem.

Just remember to take it easy and increase the miles a bit at a time. Make sure to keep hydrated and fuel properly leading upto and during the longer rides.

Also rest days and good sleep are equally important.

You never know we may even get a few warm dry days between now and then to bolster enthusiasm 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    You will be fine, I started cycling in March and took part in the Exmoor Beast 69miles at the end of April with no problems. With my longest ride only being just over 30 miles. The only thing I will say is make sure you get your fueling right. You will be suprised how much different making sure your fueled makes.

A lot of people use gels, but I dont find them substantial enough and far too expensive. What I do is buy Flapjack bars from my local health shop 60p each and eat a full bar every 1.5 hours of cycling.
  • ricklilley
    Cheers for the support guys.
    With regard to distance over the last few weeks i've been doing 1 or 2 15 mile rides and then aimed for 1 longer ride each week ( i work shifts so its sometimes hard to keep a pattern), before today the longest had been just shy of 30 miles. And todays was gonna be a 35 mile ride, until a closed road changed my plans and route. Aiming on increasing my long rides by about 5 miles per week, so i don't overdo it.
    As for fuel i usually carry water with a splash of cordial for short rides. And a bottle of plain water and a bottle of sports drink mix for longer rides. Today i took a High 5 energy bar and a lucozade gel with me to try if i needed them. Not too sure about the gels, as the consistency feels rather strange, but it tasted ok (and they are only 60p each in Asda. I've got some other high 5 gels/sachets etc to try (i bought one of the race packs in the CRC sale so i could try some different ones).
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Your gonna need some food, I am generally ok up to about 40ish miles on just water/electrolites. The key however is to refuel before you need it as it takes longer to get your energy back after its gone.
  • ricklilley
    the flapjack idea sounds good cheers NITR8s
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Also good are Malt loaf (I hate that), Fig rolls, (love them) Dried fruit (apricots my fave), Jam or Honey sarnies and jelly babies for when you bonk.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ricklilley
    Well this morning i did my first 50 miler, went out with some colleagues from work. And cycled from Skipton to Morecambe.

Average speed was 14mph, which i didn't think was too bad, considering i'm still building my miles up.
    Handsome Dog framed MTB