3/2/1 speed crank?

XCtrailmachine
XCtrailmachine Posts: 5
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I am a cross country trail rider and I never use my granny ring or my top ring, so I was just wondering, should I convert to a 1x10 set up, I am currently running a 3x9. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would running a chain guide up front instead of gears increase or reduce the weight.
Voodoo Hoodoo 2011

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just remove some rings from your 9 spd cranks. will be more cost effective than changing the whole drive train.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alright mate, will give that a try, cheers
    Voodoo Hoodoo 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing magical about 10 speed, it only gives you 1/2 a gear more than 9 (on a nine speed there are circa 10% between gears, 34T (max on 9) to 36T (max on 10) only gives you just over 5% or half a gear.

My daughter has been running 1x9 for over a year now.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    if you only run one chainring you may find you need slightly shorter chainring bolts....other then that I'd take rings off and run it like that.