Couple of brake problems!

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got two issues:

First up, the front brake keeps squealing whilst I'm riding, gently pulling the brake stops it from happening, but after a while it starts again. I've given the pads and rotor a wipe over which has sorted this in the past, but no joy this time.

And second, the Allen key socket on the retaining screw of my rear brake has rounded, meaning I can't get the pads out! :roll: What do I do!?

I've got Avid elixir 3's with SS kevlar pads.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some noise is normal. it will go. and come back and go.

take the pads out and clean the caliper as you should have done when you changed the pads.

drill it out. grip the rest of the pin and rotate it. have fun it will take time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you can, hacksaw or dremel a screwdriver slot across the bolt head....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    not the easyest to cut a slot in.

HaseAv12.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Jast hacksaw through the bolt and conical spacers.
  • nicklouse
    Jast hacksaw through the bolt and conical spacers.
    but he will still have the pads stuck.

wrong bolt.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    For the rounded bolt try a bigger torx type and tap it in with a hammer it might grip it enought for you to loosen it.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Oh yes... Grab is with some mole grips as tight as you can and twist.
  • Have tried with mole grips, no joy, will perserve though. I like the cut a slot idea, although it might be a bit hard to get at. Fortunately don't need new pads just yet, so there's no rush!
  • nicklouse
    Drill.