Frank Schleck, Again...

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited June 2012 in Pro race
First I'd just like to applaud his efforts last week, was pleased to see him go on the attack and looking confident. Hoping he will do the same in the Tour, untill I read this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck-doesnt-want-captains-role-at-tour-de-france

Can't hold form from Suisse to the Tour? Has he met Bradley Wiggins? Seeing as Suisse was his first decent effort of the year how does he dare bang on about form?

and this: He even cited Alberto Contador as “the best proof” of the difficulty. “Last year he won the Giro and for that he paid a price in the Tour. He was not strong enough and he has not even raced between the Giro and the Tour, as I now do.” - Contador won the Giro on a very difficult route and still finished up there in the Tour. He didn't pull out half way through a not very difficult Giro and say the Tour was improbable.

SO FRUSTRATING - performs as he has last week and makes me believe in him again, and then spouts crap like that article. HAVE SOME BELIEF MAN! Jeeeez.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mind games.
  • LeicesterLad
    Mind games.

There is playing it down and mind games. Declaring yourself completely incapable probably isn't the best way of doing either.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

Can't hold form from Suisse to the Tour? Has he met Bradley Wiggins? Seeing as Suisse was his first decent effort of the year how does he dare bang on about form?

To be fair, Wiggins approach to "holding form" through Dauphine or TdS to the Tour is a new one and not yet proven, TBH. You won't be able to say it works until Paris.

Even pre-dating the EPO generation, riders used to to struggle to hold form over that period - "peaking" in late May / early June (either through bad planning or mis-timed injury recovery) used to mean your Tour was screwed.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Mind games.

If it was anyone else I'd agree.
    "It should be remembered that Fränk has competed at a high level ever since the start of Giro d'Italia in early May"

Whaaaat? I thought he started that race unfit because Fuglsang got injured and then pulled out before they hit a mountain!
  • LeicesterLad
    afx237vi wrote:
    Mind games.

If it was anyone else I'd agree.
    "It should be remembered that Fränk has competed at a high level ever since the start of Giro d'Italia in early May"

Whaaaat? I thought he started that race unfit because Fuglsang got injured and then pulled out before they hit a mountain!

:lol: My thoughts exactly.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Is he not just trying to play down his own chances, just not doing it very well. Who wants to go into the Tour as a favourite?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Is he not just trying to play down his own chances, just not doing it very well. Who wants to go into the Tour as a favourite?

A True Champ?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

A True Champ?

I think that warrants a Hesjedal facepalm...

ryderthree940-8col.jpg
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    That article pretty much sums up everything I dislike about their attitude.

If he cannot peak for 2 different races, then why the hell would you target the tour of Switzerland when you know in all likelihood you will be the main man for your team at the tour. If I was Bruyneel I wouldn't select him with that attitude
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    and then you wouldn't have a sponser for next year!
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    If I was Bruyneel, I would have bigger things to worry about than acting petty towards the two of the three best cyclists on my team...

Why shouldn't Frank peak for Switzerland, he would have been thinking all season that in all likelihood, Andy would be the man for the tour.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Jez mon wrote:

Why shouldn't Frank peak for Switzerland, he would have been thinking all season that in all likelihood, Andy would be the man for the tour.

Mainly this, plus he was thrown into the Giro at short notice and then buggered up his shoulder. His season has been chaotic but not all of the blame can be laid at his door.

Bruyneel has spend a significant portion of 2012 doing a good imitation of a man who has been making his plans on the spur of the moment.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Think we all know Bruyneel has bigger problems than Frank saying he won't win the Tour.

Which he won't anyway.