Makes that have a sloping top tube ?

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I had a Giant SCR C4 and I liked the compact frame with sloping top tube. I'm looking to get another road bike but not sure who else makes their frames with a sloping top tube apart from Giant. :?:

Comments

• jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I have a De Rosa R838 that has a sloping tube - cheaper option same frame geometry is the Ribble stealth.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    For the looks of it or?
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    the inventors of that styling......

kona - and the road bikes have a slight slope

main pro's - stiffer, lighter, and with those short chainstays better on the corners
  • s1mon
    s1mon Posts: 618
    klep wrote:
    For the looks of it or?
    Basically yes :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Colnago do them.
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    and bmc
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I think it would be easier to list brand that still makes horizontal toptube models - virtually all frames these days have some form of sloping TTs. To be honest it doesn't make much difference to handling because the handlebars and saddle are still relatively in the same position - the key dimensions are seattube angle, toptube length (horizontal or virtual) and finally headtube angle - you'll find this information on the Giant website and should use this info to make comparisons.
    Finally, if you want to know who started the whole sloping toptube thing on road bikes, it was probably Keith Bontranger or Ross Schafer at Salsa, way before Mike Burrows came up with the original TCR for Giant.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Pretty much every manufacturer these days offers a compact, or 'sloping top tube'.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    estampida wrote:
    and with those short chainstays better on the corners

Why are the chainstays shorter?