Attacked on Narrow St, Friday at 8:30pm

FransJacques
FransJacques Posts: 2,148
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Was working late this past Friday evening, just started my commute home from the Wharf.

As I was passing in front of the City Gateway Limehouse Youth club by Westferry station at the East end of Narrow St, many kids were milling about outside the youth club in 2 groups. I think the England game had just concluded.

In the first group, 2 kids stepped onto the roadway & into my path but I swerved to avoid them. They yelled at me which alerted the second group further along the road right in front to the youth center. 1 kid in that group kicked my rear wheel and another reached out and punched my left arm. I sprinted away from the scene with at least 2 kids in hot pursuit on foot.

This AM on my way in to work I went to the front desk and made a report. They said they'd check the CC TV footage.

I was quite spooked later when I realized what might have happened had they caught me or knocked me to the ground. Would they have beat me? Or stolen my wallet? Or taken the bike?

Anyone else have any incidents around this area - and did you do something about it?
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Feral east london teenagers? Find another route!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    edited June 2012
    Been commuting that way for to 18 months and only had one close one once a bit further down towards the park on the right, back last winter. A couple of kids rushed out and seemed to try to jump me. I swerved round them. Not really a feasible alternative route that's going to be safer other than disobeying the no-cycle signs and going through the Limehouse Link tunnel or trekking up to the A13. There're usually a fair number of people around on Narrow St, either other peds/runners/cyclists.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    That must have been pretty unnerving. :S
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Sorry to hear about that FJ, not a pleasant experience.

That's on my daily route too and altho I've never had any trouble I have thought that could be a trouble spot.

You did the right thing in firstly escaping pretty much intact and secondly reporting it. No point in trying to be a hero and ending up getting stabbed or something like that.

Did you report it to the club only? I would report it to the police too after all it is undoubted that an offence was committed.
    FCN = 4
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Did you report it to the club only? I would report it to the police too after all it is undoubted that an offence was committed.
    +1
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Moral of story: don't bother working late
    <a>road</a>
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    I've been riding out to the wharf for six years, you get used to it. I once had a group of you'ffs hurl a barrage of chips as me as I was running home once. Shame that they are wasting their talents and not down on a running track as they had a decent sprint on them.
  • FransJacques
    Good news. The manager of the Youf center called and wants me to come in for a chat. They called back same-day so they took it seriously. I think they're concerned about losing funding in this climate so need to be seen to be caring.

They have some CCTV footage but not much - we'll see.

To be honest, I wouldn't report this to the poice, why do I want to criminalize some 12/14 year old. What it REALLY makes me want to do is to volunteer my time at such a place to sit down with these under-parented kids and ask them why they get violent. How is their homelife, what prospects are you looking for in life etc.

If you've never heard of Kids Company it's a very interesting charity that donates lots of time and caring to the really violent and marginalized - it's based mostly around Lambeth and Brixton. Maybe this is the eposide that prompts me to spend some time not behind my computer.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    That place is generally well run, my mate lives on narrow street so frequently been past there and personally never had any issues as there are several staff milling about just inside the entrance. Hope it gets sorted out for you.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    If you've never heard of Kids Company...

I've heard of them, donated a fair bit their way through my company's sponsorship link with them.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Good news. The manager of the Youf center called and wants me to come in for a chat. They called back same-day so they took it seriously. I think they're concerned about losing funding in this climate so need to be seen to be caring.

They have some CCTV footage but not much - we'll see.

To be honest, I wouldn't report this to the poice, why do I want to criminalize some 12/14 year old. What it REALLY makes me want to do is to volunteer my time at such a place to sit down with these under-parented kids and ask them why they get violent. How is their homelife, what prospects are you looking for in life etc.

If you've never heard of Kids Company it's a very interesting charity that donates lots of time and caring to the really violent and marginalized - it's based mostly around Lambeth and Brixton. Maybe this is the eposide that prompts me to spend some time not behind my computer.
    You're not criminalising them by going to the police; they are criminalising themselves by their actions.

Book 'em, Danno
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    You're not criminalising them by going to the police; they are criminalising themselves by their actions.

Book 'em, Danno

Yes, what were they planning to do? How do you know that they've done nothing else, that going to the police may help 'resolve'.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Book 'em, Danno

Yes, what were they planning to do? How do you know that they've done nothing else, that going to the police may help 'resolve'.
    And moreover... what if it hadn't been the OP. What if it had been a woman riding home, not too confident already maybe; put off cycling for life.

I understand the point about educating these under-parented (good phrase) kids, but a lot of them simply haven't ever been taught that being an ar##hole is not actually desirable in the grand scheme of things. If it takes a good talking to and/or PC Plod putting the fear of God into them, so much the better.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Book 'em, Danno

And moreover... what if it hadn't been the OP. What if it had been a woman riding home, not too confident already maybe; put off cycling for life.

I understand the point about educating these under-parented (good phrase) kids, but a lot of them simply haven't ever been taught that being an ar##hole is not actually desirable in the grand scheme of things. If it takes a good talking to and/or PC Plod putting the fear of God into them, so much the better.

Actions and consequences.... actions and consequences....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    rights and responsibilities too
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    My company runs charity events together with Kids Co. on occasion.
    You can definitely volunteer but yes, you need to spend time there out of your own pocket, as opposed to have your company pay your salary whilst you go and help them. I am lucky in that respect I suppose.
  • FransJacques
    fnegroni wrote:
    My company runs charity events together with Kids Co. on occasion.
    You can definitely volunteer but yes, you need to spend time there out of your own pocket, as opposed to have your company pay your salary whilst you go and help them. I am lucky in that respect I suppose.
    Interesting. What do you mean by "time there out of your own pocket"? My assumption is that it's time with a normal, responsible adult who respects the law, pays taxes, and has a decent handle of right vs wrong that they need exposure to in order to balance with whatever skewed BS they've been fed so far in life by marginalized influencers who think police are racist, the laws are made by "da man" to benefit whitey, and that community is your brothers in the local gang.