MRP Podium Chainring for 2x9?

adrenalinemunki
adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
edited June 2012 in MTB general
So for my latest upgrade, i'm going to remove the big chainring and go down to 2x9, i'm then popping on a MRP 2X to act as a bashguard and to keep the tension in the chain.

Now, I also ordered a MRP Podium 36t to replace the middle chainring (32t) to give me a wee bit more range, although I noticed its not ramped so it is possibly only for single speed, could anyone shed any light on this? can I use the podium or shall I cancel the order (regardless of how cool it would have looked next to the 2X :D)

Blackspire do a version that is ramped for similar money if its going to make a lot of difference?

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Pretty sure it won't change down onto the inner ring as easily if at all.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Balls, thought not.

Ordered a blackspire super pro 22 and 36 instead ;)
  • Ahh crap, also, this is my crankset... is it even possible to reuse these cranks? Wanted this to be a relatively inexpensive tweak but new cranks would be tipping the budget?

fcm521c422_8_469kn.jpg

They look a bit integrated into the large ring if I'm not mistaken?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If the ring BCD's are the same.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    If the ring BCD's are the same.
    So I can reuse those crank arms? they look a bit too "attached" to the outer ring?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope - shorter bolts or insert bash
  • Right, I'm going to be honest, and I'm sure I'm going to come across as being a bit dim, but I don't understand the last couple of answers...

So, if I was to take my bike to the lbs (which I am going to do) and deliver the bike as it is + MRP 2X + Blackspire 24+36 chainrings and let them go for it, apart from the odd spacer and bolt, are there going to be any big surprises? i.e. have I missed off a big part of the puzzle to get this set up how I want?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You may find your cranks/bottom bracket aren't compatible, if it's not HTII you will need a new BB as far as I know.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    edited June 2012
    peter413 wrote:
    You may find your cranks/bottom bracket aren't compatible, if it's not HTII you will need a new BB as far as I know.

your a bit confused i think bud. he is asking about changing chainrings not whole crankset.

to answer your question matey the blackspire chainrings should fit aslong as the BCD is correct.

the outer ring and spider mounts are just designed by shimano to look as flush and tidy as possible.

you can run a bash ring to cover up the outer position or you can just leave it empty but you will need shorter bolts to take up the extra space from the outer chainring.

have a look for some shimano cranks that are being run with only a single ring. you will see how the outer position is empty.

yours will look the same, expect you will have a granny ring in there aswell.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • peter413
    sanchez89 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

your a bit confused i think bud. he is asking about changing chainrings not whole crankset.

to answer your question matey the blackspire chainrings should fit aslong as the BCD is correct.

the outer ring and spider mounts are just designed by shimano to look as flush and tidy as possible.

when you install the blackspire rings it wont look as OEM, and you may need different length chainring bolts, but apart from that you will be fine. trust.

He's asking about fitting a chain device as well, unless he has ISCG mounts he will need a BB mount, either the actual guide or an adaptor plate.
  • sanchez89
    peter413 wrote:

He's asking about fitting a chain device as well, unless he has ISCG mounts he will need a BB mount, either the actual guide or an adaptor plate.

oh yes, hadnt seen that bit. apologises buddy.

yeah he will need to remove a spacer from drive side BB cup to run a BB mounted tensioner, unless ISCG mounts as you said.
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Er these are not HTII !

I think he has given up on the device for now
  • sanchez89
    after reviewing picture i see the dreaded word octalink. if you want to run a guide new crankset and BB are needed.

blimey its getting expensive now ay it!
    Clank wrote:
  • peter413
    Yeah, those cranks are just Hollowtech and looking at the pics of his Rockhopper you can see it's an internal BB. I had an old Octalink crankset which had Hollowtech written on them.

You should be able to get a compatible BB, I think it's E-Type ones that can be used but I would personally just look for a cheap set of HTII cranks so long as your BB shell doesn't need faced as that can be expensive. Deore's aren't that expensive or if you're lucky you can get some cheap second hand. I got some Race Face Ride XC cranks with a BB for 20 quid off a mate when I was in need of some new cranks a few years ago and they are still in use today albeit with a few new bottom brackets but you would expect that with any cranks.
  • Rights, so I stick with the black spire chainrings and sack off the 2X? - do I need some sort of alternative? Do I actually need a guide at all?
  • sanchez89
    Rights, so I stick with the black spire chainrings and sack off the 2X? - do I need some sort of alternative? Do I actually need a guide at all?

im running 2x10 with only a bashring and its fine. over super rough terrain the chain may drop onto the granny, but never completley off. some sort of guide such as bionicon v2 or blackspire stinger would help obviously.

i have no spacers on my BB and no ISCG mounts so cant fit a traditional guide, but i did look into the bionicon guide, and it looks very promising. just very expensive for what it is.
    Clank wrote:
  • 1mancity2
    As Sanchez89 says you can run without a chain device, also when you go down to 2 rings remember to shorten your chain.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    More to the point do you actually need 2x?
  • More to the point do you actually need 2x?
    Of course not, nobody needs 2x...

I had two reasons, firstly to try and quiet down the noisy chain and secondly to add extra clearance since I have clobbered my big chainring a few times going up steps etc.

I've had a think, and converting my particular setup seems a fair bit of grief so what I might do is wait for the 2013 shimano stuff to come out in a month or so and go all out for a switch to SLX group set (excluding the brakes and hubs), the new RD has shadow+ which would be a decent option to quiet everything down along with a 2x setup and shorter chain etc...

I reckon thats a better plan, SLX seems very good value for money and that way I'm doing some solid, justifiable upgrades all round that I can migrate to my next frame as and when :)

Good plan?
  • 1mancity2
    Yeah slx double is bombproof, I have it on my jump bike running a single ring.

Keep your eye on CRC you can pick them up when on offer.
  • Does anyone in-the-know happen to know when the 2013 SLX stuff will come out? There doesn't seem to be any solid information on the review sites (in fact, a lot of them say May and theres no sign yet...)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    afaik it should be late july/ early august before we see 2013 shimano stuff according to my lbs and a mate and his sponsors.