tricket Posts: 123
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hello,

I have a Fuji Newest 3.0, which is 24 speed and has the following:

Shimano 2303 shifters
Shimano 2303 front mech
Shimano Sora rear mech
Fuji triple chainset

So I'm looking at upgrading the 2303 stuff to match the Sora rear mech (as I'm still fairly new to road riding, so I don't require top level kit yet), but I'm a little confused.

When I look at Sora triple front mechs specifically, they are always listed as '9 speed', but I only have an 8 speed cassette. So, do I have to swap the cassette to 9 speed as well (as that will require a new shifter surely?) or will it not matter?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    9 speed front mech on 8 speed will be fine but tbh save your money its not really worth changing from 2303 to sora. you wouldnt see any difference other than a lighter wallet.

iirc 2303 is only an older version of sora anyway
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    8 spd -> 9 spd you'll need shifters, chain & cassette minimum. You should be able to keep both mechs.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    What has been said.. you can pick up Tiagra 4600 full groupset for about £300.. makes the work into something like an upgrade.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    You could sell your current bike and use the money you get from it plus the £300 you was gonna spend on a tiagra groupset and buy a new bike that comes with a Tiagra or even 105 set.
  • tricket
    9 speed front mech on 8 speed will be fine but tbh save your money its not really worth changing from 2303 to sora. you wouldnt see any difference other than a lighter wallet.

iirc 2303 is only an older version of sora anyway

Thanks, that's what I was hoping the outcome was going to be. And point taken on the Sora.
  • tricket
    NITR8s wrote:
    You could sell your current bike and use the money you get from it plus the £300 you was gonna spend on a tiagra groupset and buy a new bike that comes with a Tiagra or even 105 set.

Thanks for the response but I only bought the bike 6 weeks ago. Although it seems Tiagra or 105 is the way to go :D
  • tricket
    JGSI wrote:
    What has been said.. you can pick up Tiagra 4600 full groupset for about £300.. makes the work into something like an upgrade.

I'll look into Tiagra, thanks.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Why are you considering spending money on a cheapo bike you bought 6 weeks ago?

Just ride it into the ground and save your money. When its knackered next spring (or whenever) buy a decent bike.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tricket wrote:
    So I'm looking at upgrading the 2303 stuff to match the Sora rear mech (as I'm still fairly new to road riding, so I don't require top level kit yet), but I'm a little confused.

Any help much appreciated.
    What are you hoping to achieve?
  • tricket
    styxd wrote:

Just ride it into the ground and save your money. When its knackered next spring (or whenever) buy a decent bike.

I didn't ask for your opinion on my bike, I asked for knowledge about components...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tricket wrote:
    styxd wrote:

I didn't ask for your opinion on my bike, I asked for knowledge about components...
    The implication is that the money you'll put into upgrading would be better spent on a more expensive bike with the better components on to start with.
    I have an entry level road bike and have checked out component upgrades - but have reached the conclusion that it is just not worth the money on that frame - although I like my bike - it is probably only worth a new set of wheels - which will make a small difference.

Anyway - if you don't want opinion on your bike - then don't post here!!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234

You didnt, but its a public forum so you got it :)

Spend your money if you want, but it'll be a waste of money.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    A fuji Newest 3.0 is currently being sold by evans for £549.99. You are considering spending £300 to upgrade it to Tiagra, meaning you would have spent £849.99. For £799.99 you could have bought a Giant Defy 2, that comes with Tiagra as standard.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Advice on here seems sound - I'm in a similar position, and I'd either save the money for a whole new bike, or use the £300 upgrade money on (say) new wheels and tyres - I've got Michelin Pro Race 3 (on a half price offer!) which are fab!.

Alternatively, use the £300 to get some kit (shoes, shorts, etc) and to sign up for a few rides/sportives, etc. Make a decision on where to spend your cash once you've got into riding more.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Upgrading to Tiagra will work out rather expensive.

If you have an 8 speed set up currently, Tiagra is now 10 speed, which I believe will mean a new rear wheel as I doubt the current one will take a 10speed cassette.

Upgrading to Sora will make little or no difference to the performance of the bike or it's resale value.

Enjoy what you have. You'll know when it's time to upgrade. Save now and that upgrade will be a better bike.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Norris-wf
    Norris-wf Posts: 33
    I had the exact same groupset as you and to be honest, there is no advantage moving up to sora. My gripe was not changing from the drops which you still won't be able to do with sora. Tiagra and upwards will allow changes from the drops. Correct me if I'm mistaken there. A nice upgrade might be just to switch to better shifters that allow drop changes.
    I decided that I would upgrade with a view to building up a complete new bike so I upgraded to full ultegra and slowly bought new wheels and finally a new frame. If you bought a good groupset you could do similar if you wanted to buy a better frame after 2 years or whatever then just switch over the grupo. It may be more expensive than buying a new bike as others have mentioned, but th fun of a bike building project is just too much craic! :D
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    NITR8s wrote:
    A fuji Newest 3.0 is currently being sold by evans for £549.99. You are considering spending £300 to upgrade it to Tiagra, meaning you would have spent £849.99. For £799.99 you could have bought a Giant Defy 2, that comes with Tiagra as standard.

Whilst I agree with the idea that he shouldn't upgrade to Sora as there will be no tangible benefits - the above figures do not take into account the money that he may recoup on his current groupset (not considerable but needs accounting for nevertheless).

If you are going to upgrade at all (and I wouldn't - Stixd's advice, although delivered harshly on your new purchase, is probably right) then look on the Classifieds - you could pick up a 105/Ultegra groupset in VGC for the cost of new Tiagra as others look to upgrade.
  • SaintMark
    SaintMark Posts: 68
    Nothing wrong with considering upgrades for your bike. It's fun and a way to personalise what you own. It would be easy to think, if you are a beginner reading magazine reviews etc. that the groupset is the most essential part of the bike. It's not really, it's just reviewers tend to give that impression because they're comparing bikes at a price point.
    So, if you have the urge to upgrade, I would start with tyres; pedals and shoes; good saddle; a proper jersey/shorts; a computer; all things you can take to your next bike when you're more experienced. If you like the frame enough to keep it, then think about wheels, and only bother with groupset items when they wear out (you'll probably want a new bike before then anyway). Whatever you do, just get out and enjoy riding it. Remember that no-one will know, or care if you've got Sora/2300 mix when you're speeding past them on the open road.