Any reason I shouldn't buy a Canyon Nerve AM7?

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I was expecting not to ask this question for a while, so haven't been looking that seriously, but I have just received an surprise bonus so am now in the position where I can buy a new bike. I used to ride an Orange Clockwork "in the day" then stopped riding. I bought a Trek 4500 about 3 and a bit years ago and really enjoy riding. It got me from North of 150kg to where I am now, 117kg, and aiming to get to 100kg. I ride Lee/Cragg and Llandegla on a fairly regular basis, the local bridleways/little trails when I haven't got time to get in the car, I also like to get up to Whinlatter when I can. I've been hitting the harder stuff recently, literally, in terms of my fall off the B-Line on Friday evening at Llandegla.

Just for a bit of background I'm getting better at maintenance stuff, but I sometimes need the support of the LBS still, so there is an advantage of buying from them for me.

I want to get a full susser, and as I'll keep the hardtail for milder stuff, I think something more "all mountain" would be ideal. My LBS stocks Trek, and to a point I would like to buy from him (that point having a number of pound notes against it), so I'd be looking at the Trek Remedy 7. and hope I could get a bit of discount (I don't really want to go past £1800).

However, I can't see past the Nerve AM7, and also the Nerve AM6. They seem miles better in terms of specification, but to be honest I'm a little confused by the forks and shocks. Is it worth the extra for a Fox 32 Performance TALAS FIT RL on the AM7 over the Fox 32 Evolution TALAS RL on the AM6, and is there any difference at all in the shocks, Fox Float Performance RP 2 Boost Valve XXV on the AM7 over Fox Float Evolution RP 2 BSD XXV on the AM6?

In terms of the groupset both the Canyons seem miles better than the Trek. I don't think I'd notice much difference from SLX and XT (I'd obviously like the best) but I think I'm more worried about the fork and shock.

Is there anything I'm missing or would the AM7 be the best bet for me? Are the fork and shock that much better than the AM6?

Comments

• mcnultycop
    Also I live near a Cube stockist,the AMS 150 Pro also appeals, link here
  • keppy
    keppy Posts: 10
    I'm going through the same thought-process comparing a Trek (Fuel EX8) with a Canyon (Nerve XC 9.0SL) - on paper the components of the Canyon are "better". Went into my LBS at the weekend and was quite open with the owner on the dilemma. He showed me Trek's stock system and that there were literally no more bikes left in my size (21") due to them running factory stock down in prep for the 2013 launches which are imminent. Of course shops and distributors will still have 2012 stock...

So I had a hunt around and found that I could get a 2012 Fuel EX9 for the same as the Canyon as some shops have started to drop their 2012 stock to sale prices in readiness for 2013 bikes. This means I can now get a Fuel EX9 which has broadly the same level of components as the Canyon for the same money.

Therefore i'm back at buying a 2012 Trek from my LBS at sale prices....helped a bit because i'm buying 2 bikes. Now I just need to convince the missus she needs a new bike :)
  • mcnultycop
    I'm going to have a similar conversation with the LBS, and at least give him the opportunity to see what he can do price-wise. I was looking at the Fuel Ex/Nerve XC range but I thought as I was keeping my hardtail I'd go for either a Remedy/Nerve AM for the bumpy stuff.
  • Watching with interest!

I would (ideal world) like the Am7 but I think the Am6 is probably more realistic budget wise. I look forward to those in the know explaining the differences with the shocks. The SLX - XT is easier to understand, and I am the same, I always want the best my money can buy.

The other thing about the 7 is that it comes in the green colour too, not just the black. Not as improtant, but there you go..!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    interesting that you mention knocking the prices down to clear stock for the 2013 bikes, Canyon also do this before they bring next years stock in, but you really need to keep a close eye on there website, because when they do have there end of year sale it lasts about a day before most things are sold out
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I currently own a Nerve xc 9.0. They are great bikes i cant fualt them! In terms of Canyon putting on a sale, it's not much of a sale compared to the UK ones. Last year i saw a reduction of £80 off a nerve xc 7.0, i know it's something but it's not much money compared to UK bike shop sales. "Is it worth the extra for a Fox 32 Performance TALAS FIT RL on the AM7 over the Fox 32 Evolution TALAS RL on the AM6" I would say yes. i was in the same dilema with my xc. The FIT cartridge is well worth the upgrade. (FIT=fox isolated technology) I find the rebound tuning much more responsive along with the fork tuning it's self. I would go for the AM 7 becuase it has the FIT damper with the fork....

They are very nice bikes, but remember, as i found out, ORDER LOTS OF GEAR HANGERS WITH THE BIKE! Unfortunately i didnt. In the UK a gear hanger costs no more than £7 but would My canyon take a UK desighn? no it wouldn't. I had to order a gear hanger from Canyon. The first probelm is this cost £15 quid. the second is it cost £15 postage. and the third is it takes 2 weeks to arrive. SO when you get the option to add gear hangers with the bike in checkout screen i would reccomend buying at least 2 or 3.. :)

But as i said, great bikes :) i couldn't fualt them.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I currently own a Nerve xc 9.0. They are great bikes i cant fualt them! In terms of Canyon putting on a sale, it's not much of a sale compared to the UK ones. Last year i saw a reduction of £80 off a nerve xc 7.0, i know it's something but it's not much money compared to UK bike shop sales. "Is it worth the extra for a Fox 32 Performance TALAS FIT RL on the AM7 over the Fox 32 Evolution TALAS RL on the AM6" I would say yes. i was in the same dilema with my xc. The FIT cartridge is well worth the upgrade. (FIT=fox isolated technology) I find the rebound tuning much more responsive along with the fork tuning it's self. I would go for the AM 7 becuase it has the FIT damper with the fork....

They are very nice bikes, but remember, as i found out, ORDER LOTS OF GEAR HANGERS WITH THE BIKE! Unfortunately i didnt. In the UK a gear hanger costs no more than £7 but would My canyon take a UK desighn? no it wouldn't. I had to order a gear hanger from Canyon. The first probelm is this cost £15 quid. the second is it cost £15 postage. and the third is it takes 2 weeks to arrive. SO when you get the option to add gear hangers with the bike in checkout screen i would reccomend buying at least 2 or 3.. :)

But as i said, great bikes :) i couldn't fualt them.

I wouldn't get the Canyon mech hangers as they are rubbish, we've broke 3 just by normal riding. We're now using ones from Pilo, CNC machined, choice of colours and they actually last.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit wrote:

I wouldn't get the Canyon mech hangers as they are rubbish, we've broke 3 just by normal riding. We're now using ones from Pilo, CNC machined, choice of colours and they actually last.

My LBS said there was no hangers made in the UK. How rubbish.. Could you give me the link at all? i've already broken 4 hangers :(
  • Just had a quick look on the net, Dosen't look as though they fit the nerve xc 2011? only seem to fit Road bike canyon's?
  • Going back to the original question.

No there is definately no reason not to buy a Nerve AM. They are great value and great bikes. I own a AM 8.0x and am very happy with it.

Two things to take special note of -

From my experience moving from a hardtail and trying the XC model, take note of the bikes weight! The AM models are not heavy but they do carry a weight penalty over the XC model. For example the cheapest XC model is about the same weight as the most expensive AM model dripping in the lightest components.
    Trek dosent list bike weights but looking at EX8's and Remedys before i bought the Canyon they are basically the same or slightly heavier.

And bike sizing, make absolutely sure you know what size you want. Use Canyons bike fit but from experience its a bit hit and miss.

O' and if you need Mech hangers call the UK service centre and ask to speak to Cullum. If you ask nicely he will send you a mech hanger for £15 + a small UK postage charge

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • mcnultycop
    Thanks ThePriory1978. I'm not overly concerned about the weight differential; I don't have the lightest of hardtails anyway (the coil sprung fork alone is the best part of 2.5kg) and I'm not the lightest of blokes at the moment.

I've had a go on Canyon's bike sizing thing and it does seem a bit odd. I reckon I should be a medium, I'm 177cm (just under 5'10") but with a fairly short inside leg, but I don't think the Canyon system said this.
  • chez_m356
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Thanks ThePriory1978. I'm not overly concerned about the weight differential; I don't have the lightest of hardtails anyway (the coil sprung fork alone is the best part of 2.5kg) and I'm not the lightest of blokes at the moment.

I've had a go on Canyon's bike sizing thing and it does seem a bit odd. I reckon I should be a medium, I'm 177cm (just under 5'10") but with a fairly short inside leg, but I don't think the Canyon system said this.
    yes it does, its called "inseam" :wink:
  • chez_m356
    Just had a quick look on the net, Dosen't look as though they fit the nerve xc 2011? only seem to fit Road bike canyon's?
    how hard did you look ? http://www.pilo.co.il/D250_derailleur_h ... 2011-.aspx
  • chez_m356
    In terms of Canyon putting on a sale, it's not much of a sale compared to the UK ones. Last year i saw a reduction of £80 off a nerve xc 7.0, i know it's something but it's not much money compared to UK bike shop sales.
    and how much did something with a similar spec to the xc7 cost over here in the first place? in the end of year sale last year,i saved nearly £200 on my 2011 AM6
  • mcnultycop
    chez_m356 wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

yes it does, its called "inseam" :wink:

No, I mean when I go on the sizing thing it doesn't answer medium, things like reach also impact on the computerised decision making.
  • chez_m356
    mcnultycop wrote:
    No, I mean when I go on the sizing thing it doesn't answer medium, things like reach also impact on the computerised decision making.
    its reach an inseam that are the key measurements, not height, saying that, it depends on what your measurements are, sometimes by changing them either way by a cm can change the size it recommends for you
  • mcnultycop wrote:

177cm is 5ft 8.

So are you 5ft 8? Or just under 5ft 10. Its important you get your measurements correct first. Get someone to help you with your measuremenst and do it with shoes off.

I am 178cm tall with a 31" inseam. I went for the medium with a dropper post.

I am right on he border of a small bike / medium bike so i had to make the decision of a longer bigger bike with a shorter stem (medium) or a small short bike with a longer stem (small). If you are any shorter than me or have a shorter inseam the 'medium' 'wont' fit you especially if you have a dropper post as the post wont go any further into the frame.
    Of course some of this comes down to personal preference.

My bike - note the seatpost in frame position:
    80x.jpg

Sure i can 'drop' the post further but when it goes back up to full extension with an inseam of less than 31" i reckon you wont be able to touch the pedals on a medium.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • mcnultycop

177cm is 5ft 8.

So are you 5ft 8? Or just under 5ft 10. Its important you get your measurements correct first. Get someone to help you with your measuremenst and do it with shoes off.

It isn't. 177cm is 5 point 8 feet (I guess you've used an online converter), 5.8 feet is 5 feet and just under 10 inches (69 and 7/10 inches).
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont compare Canyon sizes to other bikes they come up larger than most. I am 5 11 and a half withh iirc a 34 in inseam I was right on the boundary of med/large if I changed my arm length 1 cm it recommended a large. I deliberately went for the medium because I wanted a slightly shorter bike than my last one a large commencal. Glad I went for it, I have now sat on a large Canyon and it felt like a five bar gate.

The pilo hangers are brilliant I bought one on poppits reccomendation I kept bending the other hangers and having to tweak them straight but this has stayed straight as a die.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Just to throw in my 10p - if you buy from your LBS they will throw in that first service, you may be able to swing some instore goodies, you can test ride to make sure it fits, you support your local community stores.

Personally, I hate the Canyon lettering - sort of graphic design I did when I was doing o level art.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chez_m356
    Just to throw in my 10p - if you buy from your LBS they will throw in that first service
    you make it sound as if they are doing you some kind of "favour" :lol:
  • mcnultycop
    Well I've had the craic with my LBS, and he offered me what I consider a great deal on this year's Remedy 8, but it was still a lot more expensive than the Nerve AM 7.0, so I reckon I'm clicking "buy" this weekend on the Canyon.

I like the mamba green, but think the black and white looks a lot more "classy". I've e-mailed about the size too, and Canyon UK agree a medium sounds more reasonable than the small their sizing system keeps throwing out.

Just the colour then...
  • mcnultycop
    Ordered; Mamba Green.