Best way to level a Selle San Marco Rolls Saddle ?

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I want to take a little weight off my hands and am looking at levelling the titanium railed version which I own. When you look at the Rolls from the side, you can see the contour of the saddle isnt dead straight, so it begs the question where do you level it from ? I placed a book from the tip of the saddle to its end and placed a spirit level on top, when I got the bubble dead centre I tightened the saddle bolt. When I removed the book to view the saddle, the saddle looked as if it was pointing downwards. So whereabouts on the Rolls should I place the spirit level to ensure that Im getting the saddle nice and level so as to lessen the weight at the hands and hoods areas ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• 53twelve
    53twelve Posts: 22
    Levelling the saddle is the starting point for reference really. Once levelled, then ride it and you might need to adjust up/down/left/right accordingly. I ride the Rolls too, and I sit the spirit level on the saddle from back to front, pretty much replicating what you do as I use the front/back highest points. I then rotate it to the right about 1deg (hip socket injury from years ago makes this tiny adjust necessary for complete comfort).

But a previous riding buddy levelled his Rolls with a spirit level, but then had to rotate/tilt back a few degrees after riding to give him complete comfort.

Oh, and one daft question to ask... you did check the ground the bike is stood on with the level first? Just to be sure your start point is definitely level...