New here and new to the rd

Cheshire Celt
Cheshire Celt Posts: 137
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Evening guys new here so be gentle , bought my first rd bike today didn't want to spend to much so setteld on a b- twin triban3. Thought it looked the best value for money in that 300 price range if I take to this I am sure I will upgrade next year . So is there ny thing I can do to improve the bike really don't know much About bikes, tyres etc . Had to give up football 3 years ago and now 44 thought this was the best way to get fitter due to bad ankles . Any help and advice would be geat thanks in advance Shaun

Comments

• Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    The best advice I can give you is to leave the bike as it is, get out on it as often as possible and get bike fit. Upgrading your bike can come later when you start to wear bits out, and when you better understand the options. The only immediate decision you may wish to make are pedals and shoes, if you are going for SPD's, or whether you are going with flats. You will also want some cycling specific shorts for comfort. Make sure you set your bike up right for seat height etc.

Things you may want are - Bottle and cage, spare tube, puncture repair kit, tyre levers, multi tool, lights if using after dark, pump, helmet, and high visibility clothing.

Otherwise, just enjoy.
    Ridley Orion
  • Thanks bought bottle and that stuff today going to keep the pedels that are on for the minute as they are easy to use until I get enough confidence stopping and greeting my feet down and out of the pedels quickly but will invest in some shoes tomorrow done 5 miles tonight for my first run so will build up from there . Cheers Shaun
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Yep, as above. Just ride the bike. You'll quickly find out what components are lacking, and in general, most people who post on here are pretty helpful, so will happily answer any questions.

A word to the wise though, put on your thickest skin if you're heading into the Bottom Bracket part of the forum, it's madness in there at the moment.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Being scottishn my skins think enough thanks :mrgreen::mrgreen: