Upgrade path for a 2012 Specialized Secteur

Macdory
Macdory Posts: 113
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have been riding mountain bikes for the last 3 years, and I really fancied a road bike for days like today where it has been raining all week but dry today - going offroad in a bog can be fun, but when clipped in with SPD pedals it normally ends badly :oops:

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the Road bike, and I've just ordered some SPD-SL pedals and shoes.

I have the 2012 Specialized Secteur Tripple - what upgrades would you suggest making and in which order?

I live in Lincolnshire - so the roads are fairly flat, although I'm seeking out the small number of hills as I enjoy the climbs.

The longest ride I have done so far is 35 miles, so definitely at the early stages of road biking.

I'm also considering joining a club - anyone have any suggestions for beginner friendly clubs in the Lincoln area?

Comments

• indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    It's a good bike, and you shouldn't need to upgrade anything on it straight away. Just replace parts as they wear out, or upgrade any components that become problematic or uncomfortable.
    If you're after weight saving tips, then changing the wheels would be the best starting point
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ride the bike, enjoy it. If you must spend some cash, get some lovely bib shorts or a computer, or some nice tyres...or Cycling Plus :wink:
  • Macdory
    My main concern with bib shorts is when I need to use the facilities ...
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    unless you are hung like a hamster, roll the bib short leg up do what you need to do from there, I wont go into details :mrgreen:

Bib shorts are fantastic, buy a good pair from the word go, and you will find the world of road riding becomes infinitely better.

If you are determined to upgrade the bike, get some good rubber on the wheels first off, then maybe look into better wheels full stop.
  • AllezGaz
    AllezGaz Posts: 93
    Look up the Lincoln Wheelers, seem a decent bunch and I've just joined :D
  • Macdory
    Thanks for the discreet guide Eyon :shock:

Thanks AllezGaz
  • Macdory
    Okay - time to take the plunge...

Which bib would you recommend?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Macdory wrote:
    Okay - time to take the plunge...

Which bib would you recommend?

I would thoroughly recommend...

...popping over to the Road Buying Advice Forum and typing "bib shorts" into the search box on the left hand side :)
  • Tyres