New with a few questions

Thevicar1984
Thevicar1984 Posts: 10
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hello all,
I'm very new to cycling. I'm 28 and the last time I cycle was probably 20 years ago. I have been at it a month and can comfortably cycle 30 miles without problems.
I run Ultra marathons and cycling is my cross training but as time has crept on i'm really enjoying the cycling and perhaps would be thinking about signing up to a few local events.
I am asking for super brutal honest advice. I do not have much money and this alone has been the sole contributing factor as to what I have purchased.
I have a new Raleigh Pursuit-yes the gear changers are on the top. I think it looks quite smart. I have had the toe cages up until today where I bought some spd sl pedals?? With shoes and cleats etc. I also bought a cheapy cycling T shirt and leggings with the padded bits etc. I have a little bag under my seat for inner tube and pump plus a bottle holder on the inner frame.
I was wondering if I were to rock up to an event would I get strange looks with a super cheap bike and kit?
Just that when out riding and I see other cyclists they do not even acknowledge i'm there. When I am out running everybody says Hi. Was wondering if I was looking like a proper amateur???
Any advice and tips on how to fit in and not look like a numpty would be appreciated

Comments

• kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    Ignore the idiots and smile at everybody, is my motto.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    dude you turn up at any event and you'll people of all shapes, sizes and abilities - most if not all will have the cycling kit you describe - the clothes are comfy, the saddle bag has your essentials, some people like clipless pedals- some not, the one thing that bonds them is that they are there to enjoy the ride - so do the same - its meant to be fun
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Unfortunately snobs are found in all walks, runs and cycles of life.

Don't let other people's attitudes ruin your fun.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    This thread reminds me. I finished a race one day and on the way back we saw a few sportive cyclists with numbers on their handlebars. A thought momentarily popped into my head: 'and now it's the pretend cyclists' turn to have a go'. I instantly realised that I had started to become an elitist bike snob. What a tosser I must be, to even have thought that about people who do exactly the same thing I was doing two years ago!

If/when you get a better bike and gear, don't let it happen to you.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    just enjoy riding

anyone who's got an issue with what you look like isn't worth bothering about

fwiw i usually nod to people, but if there're loads, or i'm pushing hard, or watching for cars, maybe i'll not do it, and not everyone nods back, it's no big deal
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    Ride what ya got is my motto. Besides, there's nothing better than kicking the arse of someone on a 3k bike whose wheels skewers cost more than your whole kit :)
  • Cheers guys appreciate it. Cycling Sheep thats a good point :-) Just that I am used to running events and everybody is usually quite friendly but for some reason I picked up on some cyclists being a bit elitist.
    Right ill have a look and see if their are any events close to home and see how I get on :-s
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    When you say 'event' what do you have in mind?
    There is a world of difference between rocking up for 50 mile charity ride and a local crit race, that's all
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Yes, you might.

But who cares, chances are the ones that do will be middle aged snobbs, and you will (by the sounds of it) be able tt grind them into dust. :twisted:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    JGSI wrote:
    There is a world of difference between rocking up for 50 mile charity ride and a local crit race, that's all
    Yer - but wouldn't it be fun to turn up at a crit race - get shunned by the other riders before the race - then trounce them during the race? ;)

I read on these forums about HUGE sums of money spent on two wheels in a frame - shaving a few grams off the weight here and there - and it seems to be by those who have "all the gear and no idea" ...

Now - I'm happy with the "no idea" bit - but I don't have "all the gear" either ... just an entry level road bike with some comfy kit ..

To the OP - it's not the bike/kit - it's what you can do with it .. if you're turning up to a competitive event and can compete with them on what they may consider an inferior bike then that says volumes about what you could do on a more refined ride ..
    If you're worried about it then just say "I left my <insert brand of choice> bike is at home - I only take it out for serious events." ;)
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Slowbike wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Yer - but wouldn't it be fun to turn up at a crit race - get shunned by the other riders before the race - then trounce them during the race? ;)

I read on these forums about HUGE sums of money spent on two wheels in a frame - shaving a few grams off the weight here and there - and it seems to be by those who have "all the gear and no idea" ...

Now - I'm happy with the "no idea" bit - but I don't have "all the gear" either ... just an entry level road bike with some comfy kit ..

To the OP - it's not the bike/kit - it's what you can do with it .. if you're turning up to a competitive event and can compete with them on what they may consider an inferior bike then that says volumes about what you could do on a more refined ride ..
    If you're worried about it then just say "I left my <insert brand of choice> bike is at home - I only take it out for serious events." ;)

Or simply reply "I am all the machine I need to beat you" then cycle off into the distance leaving a back to the future style flame track in your wake. (This is exactly what Bhima would do)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Good grief.. ,
    We are here to help. the OP obviously has a bit of a competitive streak, why else do ultras? A bit of advice to point him in the right direction.
    I'll shut the f up then.
  • Interesting ideas to say the least :-)
    I would be looking to do a low level 50 miler to begin with. Anything will do to be fair. Just want to get an 'event' under my belt and go from there. I just love the idea of 100 miler in the future. But sitting here typing now I couldn't tell you the differences between all the races if you see what I mean. When I enter a running race IE a 50k, I just do it without giving any thought. But it seems like cycling their are certain races aimed at different levels? So I couldn't just rock up to any old 50 miler??
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    Ok, ok, I'll take the bullet. What JGSI is saying is what type of riding did you want to do? From your description you seem to be leaning towards a 'sportive' rather than a 'race'. Here's where I get it in the neck, a sportive (in the UK, this is a bit different on the continent) is not a race, although some people do treat them as such, the idea behind them is to complete the distance, sometimes as quickly as you can, sometimes just being able to finish, depending on your level of fitness. It is only a race in as much as you're racing against your own expectations. It's pointless comparing your 'time' with others as some may have been pushing while others may just be enjoying a planned ride with feed stations on routes they've never done before. Races have a very different function and are just that, a race, and these are usually very competitive and can be a little daunting if you're just starting out. If you really want to start racing straight off then there are others on here with much more experience and advice than I can offer. Good luck with either option although I suspect a 50mile sportive is well within your capabilities.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    for sportives...

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/sportives

if you want to race, you can read up on it here...

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... oad-Racing

...there are rules and blah blah blah, but really it's straightforward in practice

not all 'road' racing is physically on a road, often it is on closed circuits

you can use the event calendar to find events in your area of the type(s) you are interested in...

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events

...choose your region, then discipline "road all" and rider category "4th", should narrow it down enough

for this category you need a licence, as a n00b you can either get a racing licence, or a day licence at the event (not all events allow this), with a licence you'll be a "4th cat" rider, if you win enough points in the year you become 3rd cat, and so on

there are also open "go-race" events, but i don't think they are so common, you may see "go-ride" events but they are for juniors

events can be oversubscribed so don't assume you can turn up and get a start, if there're some nearby it's worth going along just to see what it's like

to race you should have reasonable bike handling skills and know how to ride safely in a bunch, speeds are high and a slight mistake can cause a nasty accident, joining a club is one way to get the experience and will mean you've got others to show you the way into racing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Depends where you are in the country. There's a nice charity sportive starting at Glastonbury and around the Somerset levels coming up soon.

I was a bit nervous about turning up with my entry level giant for a couple of sportives. There were people on halfords mountain bikes. but no one really gives a fudge, and I dont really care if they do. Ain't spending megabucks ...
  • Ah thanks guys that makes sense.
    Yeah racing aint for me but the long distance slogs would be better. I'm not the fastest runner but I can plod forever, so I am hoping I can get to that level on me bike. So yes Sportive is the way forward. Also thanks for the catogorising because I didn't have a clue!
    I live in Yeovil so Glastonbury is a real posibility. i will look in to that!
    Is the licence the same kind of thing that I got with British Athletics. Basically I am affiliated to them? How much does this cost for a year?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:

You probably need to read the forums a bit more carefully if you really think that.

There is a wide range of ability and affluence on the forums. True, there are some people with lots of money and not much idea (eg I have £5k to spend on a road bike - any ideas) but there are also plenty of equally ignorant people with little money. And just to complete the picture - knowledgeable people with and without money. Having money no more makes you a bad cyclist than not having money makes you a good cyclist. The great thing is that most people don't give a stuff about any of the above anyway. Enjoy riding your bike - anyone with any class will respect you for the fact you are doing that rather than sat at home watching the telly.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I probably shouldn't read much more! ;)

Yer - there are some good ppl on here with and without money - it's just a shame/pain to see "newbies" intending on spending vast sums on a sport that they may not even take too ... but I suppose it's all good for the economy!
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Slowbike wrote:
    I probably shouldn't read much more! ;)

Yer - there are some good ppl on here with and without money - it's just a shame/pain to see "newbies" intending on spending vast sums on a sport that they may not even take too ... but I suppose it's all good for the economy!
    And very good for those of us with an incurable hankering for shiny things, but not much money (perhaps due to the former). ;)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • To be honest OP, I'd just look at you and think to myself "Wolf in sheeps clothing". Happens all the time with motorbikes. Old bloke turns up on his knackered shitheap BMW, wearing clothes from the 1950's and proceeds to humiliate the born again biker in his pristine Dainese leathers on his brand spankers Ducati.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Right so the OP gets abuse for buying a cheaper bike and the OP in another post gets abuse for buyer a expensive bike. I am starting to think that it doesnt matter what new riders buy, there is going to be someone out there who wants to make a stupid comment about it.

I say buy what you want, if you like it thats all that matters.