brake squeal

monk18
monk18 Posts: 35
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
i have not long brought a second hand bike, a spesh enduro. it has hope mono mini brakes.
not sure what this is down to but the brakes squeal and dont really work all that well.
i have taken the pads out and given them a clean and a rub down with wet n dry, there is plenty left on all the pads.
i went for a ride today and on the down hill the brakes got hot and the levers become rock hard

my last bike was a 2011 enduro comp and the brakes on this was so good, i thought hope brakes would be pritty good as well but these are no where near??

what can i do?

cheers Monk

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    contaminated or glazed pads.

new pads and give the whole thing a wash and a dry.

and don't expect wonders from the brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • monk18
    would increasing the size of the roters make much differance, along with new pads?
  • nicklouse
    no idea, (well yes but) what size if there now?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Horses for courses.

The Mono Mini is best suited to XC race bikes where absolute stopping power is not critical. They are decelorators (with lots of modulation), not stoppers.

That having been said, you can increase their stopping power by running a bigger rotor size and/or by using semi metallic pads coupled with a proper bleed and a bedding-in process.

Prior to bedding-in, some Hope brakes will honk when they get wet. Squeals are mainly due to contamination of the pads and rotor with some kind of oil. In both cases, just ride hard in a low gear with one brake at a time half-on, then a third-on for a short distance.

FYI, my MM's (I run various mix 'n' match Hope brakes) can easily lock both wheels on the bikes using single-finger braking.
  • monk18
    they are 160 back and front right now
    i was thinking of uping to 180 rear and 200 front
  • nicklouse
    180 front and leave the rear as is will do.