Do different pedals & cleats make a difference?

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

My question is a simple one. I currently use Shimano M324 pedals. Mainly because I often go out with the kids for a short cycle and like the convenience of not having to wear clipless shoes.

I do have a pair of Shimano R540. Would I notice any difference when cycling if I used the 540's?

I get on well with the 324's, and don't suffer any pain or cramp from them. Just wondering what views people have when it comes to performance!
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The larger cleats and lower stack height means that you generally feel more engaged and connected withe the bike. The small size of SPD cleats on MTB pedals also means that they can rock when pedalling hard and sometimes people experience 'hot foot' pressure from the cleats - most common with entry level shoes. For leisure cycling, SPDs are fine, it's only when you want to maximise the benefits from your equipment and performance would the benefits of road pedals and shoes be clearer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    TheFD wrote:
    I do have a pair of Shimano R540. Would I notice any difference when cycling if I used the 540's?
    The plasticy clunk you feel when the pedal accepts the cleat is quite satisfying. This makes cycling slightly more pleasureable.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The shoes are the most important element, how they clip to the cranks is pretty immaterial. Hot spots come from bendy shoes, not cleat designs. I use XLR pedals and MTB race shoes with carbon fibre soles. My feet are perfectly comfy after 75 hard miles.

The more expensive pedals will be lighter than entry level SPDs but XLR pedals are up there with the best of the different cleat designs for feel, quality and a nice reassuring click, when engaging.

If you need to walk anywhere on a cycling day, stick with SPDs.

I have the same pedals on my MTB as sometimes I want to be unclipped.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro