hardtail adjustable forks

Gaz43
Gaz43 Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm havin trouble choosing some forks, any help would be grateful. Looking at an all round unit (xc, commute, fun), possibly tora 318 u-turn or similar. Think i want adjustable ?85ish to 120ish with lock out (for a hardtail), unfortunatley have to go with 9mm qr to hold the wheel on. Would like to be able to adjust rebound and compression and must be disc brake compatible. Looking at a low end fork due to budget constraints, but could look at second hand or previous years models if this means I can get something better. Any recommendations?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the bike?

tora will be fine for most bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gaz43
    It's a rockhopper frame which will take a 1 1/8th steerer. Had the frame powdercoated & rebuilt it with Deore Groupset. It has 160mm rotors on it for the Juicy 3 disc brakes (taken off my Ironhorse).
    Looked at Toras, but there are so many different versions and so many others, like to look at all options before deciding as it's so confusing!....hence the need for help!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Out of interest, what's the reason for wanting adjustable travel (and even the lock out)?

My take on it is at 85 or 120 it will be fairly similar and climb as well with either, and same goes without lock out. Never had a need for lock out.

Just that it can increase the options if these aren't requirements.
  • Gaz43
    Good point to consider, the bike is mainly being built to get to work, but as things can happen I got carried away and now realising its a half decent bike, I fancyti using it for some xc as a change from full sus, so thought the travel adjust and lockout would be usefull. To be honest not done much road riding on sus forks and poss don't need lockout, also thought I would notice a diference between 85 and 120mm but not experienced this ability before so maybe not that important open to options and advice really