Compatibility advice needed for rotors and Cassette

Rustyy
Rustyy Posts: 6
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys, I have some questions regarding compatibility. I would like to replace the rotors on my mountain bike as they are bent pretty bad and I'd like to try floating rotors (I read they run cooler). I'd also like to replace the Cassette as mine has rusted due to me not looking after it for the first 6 months and some of the teeth have been rounded off.

So here is my bike: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/com ... 9#features

So can someone please recommend a Good price/performance cassette, and does it have to be 8 speed?

Also are these rotors compatible with my bike?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=69494

Would I need to bleed the brakes?

Sorry for all the noobie questions, its just I would rather get advice than just buy stuff that isn't compatible or just plain crap.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if the bike is 8 speed you need an 8 speed cassette.

floaters are not the best. any correct size and correct fitting will work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Dont know about floating rotors but a guy at work has shimano ice tech rotors he raves about for dealing with heat so maybe you could think about them instead?
  • Rustyy
    Thanks Nicklouse for your quick reply.

So I now know I'm looking at just 8 speed, that narrows it down, any particular recommendations?

And why are floating rotors not the best? Am I best avoiding them?

Please treat me like an idiot, I know little about these things.

Thanks.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Floating rotors are for looks only on an MTB.
  • Rustyy
    Thanks Jayson I'll look into the shimano ice tech rotors

So Floating rotors aren't any more effective at dissipating heat or braking than standard rotors when used on a mountain bike?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rustyy wrote:
    Thanks Jayson I'll look into the shimano ice tech rotors

So Floating rotors aren't any more effective at dissipating heat or braking than standard rotors when used on a mountain bike?
    if anything they are worse as there is less area.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is it worth spending a chunk on expensive rotors? They won't help what seems to be lack of maintenence.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rustyy
    Well I don't think I can bend them back into shape, they both have some pretty nasty dents in them, I look after my bike much better than I used too and try to maintain it.
    I don't see £45 on a pair of rotors that expensive to be honest considering my bike is almost unridable with its current rotors.

Still after some recommendations of 8 speed cassettes guys, would really appreciate it

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    Where are you finding a pair for that. They're normally around £35 upwards each.
    A cassette is a cassette - more expensive = lighter. Pick a budget and just buy one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Rustyy
    cooldad wrote:
    Where are you finding a pair for that. They're normally around £35 upwards each.
    A cassette is a cassette - more expensive = lighter. Pick a budget and just buy one.

The link in my OP.... Floating Rotors for £22 on sale, usually £33.
  • cooldad
    The floating ones yes, which are rubbish - I thought you meant the Ice Tech ones, which will cost around £70 a pair.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Personally, I'd say unless you're going to be doing epic descents in the alps, I'd forget about heat dissipation qualities. They're all going to do the job - i.e. stop the bike, and heat build up brake fade etc is unlikely to be an issue.

Standard rotors will be fine.