New Cassette

Ripontiger
Ripontiger Posts: 14
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a new cassette for my Trek to replace the worn out one. I bought a Shimano CS-HG50 and according to the Shimano website it's a road cassette. Basically I'd like to know what the difference between a road and MTB cassette is and should I get one that specifies it is made for a mountain bike or will I be OK to use the one I've got?

If you could help me out I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for your time,

Andy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the range of gears. MTB tend to have bigger big cogs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited June 2012
    The road one will have a much higher bottom gear, so unless you are doing Downhill, or have monster legs I would send it back and get a proper one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ripontiger
    Ripontiger Posts: 14
    Thanks for the replies guys,

I first thought it might be something to do with the numbers of teeth but I've seen a Shimano one with the same number of teeth but it is specifies as a MTB cassette: 11-32 on both.

Might need to pop to my LBS.

Thanks again

Andy
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    The road one will have a much higher bottom gear, so unless you are doing Downhill, or have monster legs I would send it back and get a proper one.
    explain this poor comment.

higher bottom gear FFS :wink:

it is a contradiction.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cooldad
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    explain this poor comment.

higher bottom gear FFS :wink:

it is a contradiction.

Made perfect sense to me, but for those who dwell in places that speak funny languages, the larger cogs on the road cassette will be smaller than those on the MTB cassette so you won't have nice low granny type gears for getting up hills.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    If it's 11-32 then I would not worry.

And, yeah, CD blew it this time (a bit) :D
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • cooldad
    Ripontiger wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys,

I first thought it might be something to do with the numbers of teeth but I've seen a Shimano one with the same number of teeth but it is specifies as a MTB cassette: 11-32 on both.

Might need to pop to my LBS.

Thanks again

Andy

OK but I'm still a bit confused about what the OP has bought. HG50 is Deore, but CSHG50 is Tiagra and (I think) the max teeth it comes in is 25.
    So unclear as to whether he bought Tiagra or Deore.

Maybe I should just call it a day tonight.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Higher (as in taller ratio) bottom (as in lowest) gear made sense to me.........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Higher (as in taller ratio) bottom (as in lowest) gear made sense to me.........
    But we have a reasonable grasp of English, unlike some...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    HG50 is Deore, but CSHG50 is Tiagra and (I think) the max teeth it comes in is 25

Not quite, they're both CSHG50, CS is just Shimano's prefix for cassettes, as FD is front mechs, RD is rears and BL is brake levers etc.

They're not Deore or Tiagra, they're HG50, which is Deore/Tiagra level. You can get closer ratios (including 12-27 CD) which may be marketed as road/Tiagra, or wider ratios. Basically the same thing though - there's no such thing as a road 11-32 HG50 cassette.

So... if you have an 11-32 cassette, just use it. If it's closer ratio than that you may want to swap.
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    But we have a reasonable grasp of English, unlike some...
    so taller ratio? which end are you looking at it from?

the great thing about language is that you know what you mean but there is always more than one way to read it.

jake the guys who say they are in "top" gear when they mean the 32T rear cog. or the guys that talk about there small gear and mean the 11T cog. or changing up the cassette. which way is that?

use the KISS principles.

I could go on all day but i have to make some preety pictures to show what the BBBEEEP is wrong with these engines.
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    I always refer to my gears as easiest to hardest. Lowest to highest makes sense to me too, but tallest / shortest or top / bottom I don't really like.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Taller/shorter gear is perfectly normal usage Nick.........some may get it wrong, but that doesn't make the suggestion invalid!

Sorry as I am to side with Cooldad, on this I have to!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    I'm on a roll. At least three people have agreed with me today.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools