Trek Fuel EX7 Front mech advice?

Chris_Bee
Chris_Bee Posts: 5
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey,

I want to change my gearing set up from 3x10 to 2x10 but not sure what front mech I need, high/low clamp, high/low direct, size?

All I'm sure about is I need top pull, sop lease excuse my lack of knowledge on this.

I have already bought 2x10 x9 shifters ready for the change so just need to get the mech ASAP

Bike Trek Fuel Ex 7 2011

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read
    have fun
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chris_Bee
    Thanks for the response but this doesn't really tell me what mech I need for my bike. I think I need a 34.9mm clamp
  • nicklouse
    it does as it all depends on what size cogs you are running and the clamp will be just the same as you have now.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Chris_Bee
    I'm using 32/22 chain rings and I'm not sure what clamp I'm using now as its a one size fits all, also it's a high clamp can I change to a low clamp?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends if anything is in the way.
    Why not just use the current mech and shifter, just block out a position with the limit screw.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chris_Bee
    I tried that that but shifting was terrible, is there any benefits with low clamp over a high clamp?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    cooldad wrote:
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends if anything is in the way.
    Why not just use the current mech and shifter, just block out a position with the limit screw.
    Chris_Bee wrote:
    I tried that that but shifting was terrible, is there any benefits with low clamp over a high clamp?

It shouldn't make a difference as long as you don't try to shift into that blocked gear. The stops only effect shifting at either end of the chainset. Is the mech set up properly? This would be my first choice as its cheaper!
  • nicklouse
    Chris_Bee wrote:
    , also it's a high clamp can I change to a low clamp?

maybe, maybe not will it fit? most bikes will only take one or the other due to frame design.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Chris_Bee wrote:
    Then they probably weren't set up properly. And just get what you had so it will fit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools