Thank god for helmets!

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Was on a nice little pootle this morning with my brother in law taking it easy in the wet when he went over.

I was following and he was doing 15mph max when he swerved to avoid a pot hole and clipped the wet low rise kerb with his front which sent him over the pavement and the top of his head first into the brickwall on the side of the road.

He was a little shaken at first but instantly jumped and tried to walk it off throwing up immediately. He's done his helmet in, his knee, arm, shifters and bent the drops pretty badly.

Luckily it's going to cost him little for a new helmet, maybe new shifters and certainly new bars.

With the way his head hit that brick wall, he'd have been in hospital for sure, if not worse. Lesson learnt!
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    glad he's ok

might be worth nipping into a&e for a check anyway, i got a right telling off from the doctor for not going in until the day after an off that cracked the helmet
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    A lot of companies do helmet crash replacement schemes where you can replace the helmet for half price, or whatever
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    The jumped up bit is where he went wrong ;) There is no point being the big man about road crashes, take it easy, things which you can't immediately see or feel might not be in the best of ways! Having had a similar accident I can only sympathise, shock is a nasty thing and the last thing you want to be doing when you hit it is on 2 wheels!

Come off, take it easy, get help. I'm glad he is OK though
  • Swos
    Swos Posts: 27
    My friend had a crash a few weeks back and he went through the back window of a car and has been off work for 5 weeks with concussion luckily he had his helmet on or it could have been a lot worse
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    He ended up in A&E today and they ran a CT scan. He's got nothing seriously wrong, just general bumps and bruises and torn a muscle in his neck. (The momentum of his body following through when his head stopped against the wall will have done that!) They wanted to keep him in under 12hr observation but he signed himself out.

I think his pride is mainly dented and he's worried about his bike so I'm going buy him a new set of bars/tape and fix up his bike for him.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Good man, that is a nice thing to do. :-)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra