Halfords upgrade - need some help/advice please

Paulchatwin
Paulchatwin Posts: 11
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I recently bought a bike to help get fitter and it is working, however, I have had no end of problems with it and have been given a chance to upgrade and need your help.

I bought an Apollo phaze from halfords as I have a limited budget. There were numerous build quality issues including gears not changing, off centre wheels, loose bolts etc and now the chain slips, brakes get stuck on and there is a very loud clunking sound coming from the peddel. After complaining the manager said they would contribute to an upgrade. So I am looking at the next price bracket which would cover the Carrera Valour Mountain Bike and the Carrera Subway Hybrid.

What are york thoughts on this - are these any good?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to be aware that any bike will require routine checking and maintenance - sure, the Phaze is not a good bike, but bolts can work loose and always need checking over, as do gears and brakes.

Wat type of terrain do you ride? The Valour and Subway are different sorts of bike.
  • Many thanks for your quick reply.

I hear what you're saying but the halfords guy was still tightening bolts as he handed to over to me. This together with a front wheel which is way over to one side and the clunking noises from the crank area, slipping chain etc does not install any confidence in me.

I don't see my self mountain biking as such more riding bike paths which can get a little rough at times - also commuting on roads. Im guessing the hybrid would be the better choice.

The cheapest subway (which they may stretch too) is this one http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The standard Subway (non limted) is the better bet as has a better gearset and some lighjter parts.
  • Did You pay the sale price of 189 quid, for what you have made sound like a poor build? If so the bike you have linked is originally priced at £399, if they are willing to make that upgrade then go for it, you have got a better bike for nothing. Not even a question in my opinion. One of my mates has a budget Carrera hybrid he uses to cycle to work and he's had no dramas. If your only commuting then you possibly don't need a mountain bike.
  • supersonic wrote:
    The standard Subway (non limted) is the better bet as has a better gearset and some lighjter parts.

This one http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534 ?
  • Did You pay the sale price of 189 quid, for what you have made sound like a poor build? If so the bike you have linked is originally priced at £399, if they are willing to make that upgrade then go for it, you have got a better bike for nothing. Not even a question in my opinion. One of my mates has a budget Carrera hybrid he uses to cycle to work and he's had no dramas. If your only commuting then you possibly don't need a mountain bike.

Hi ReasonableGuy

I paid £169 for this one http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I had the Carrera Valour for 3 months before I realised it wasn't really up to red routes that I wanted to get into so I upgraded to a Boardman Comp.

I don't want to take anything away from the Valour though, for cycle and tow paths it was great and perfect for this.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    but bolts can work loose and always need checking over
    More so on the Apollo stuff. They literally rattle apart if actually taken off road instead of just riding to the shops as they're designed for.
  • Thanks for all the replies guys - well tommorow is d- day sowill let you know what happens. If they do offer me a free upgrade it would probably be the carrera subway limited as its just a tad more expensive than the phaze. Got to be better than the Apollo right? Or maybe I can convince the wife to let me spend a bit more and go for the Subway 2011/2012 :)