carrera vulcan

dankay123
dankay123 Posts: 31
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi there my mate has got a carrera vulcan 08 disc spec mtb. he has never done anything to it and has decided to upgrade certain bits on it that are a little worse for wear. it has a sram sx4 rear derailleur fitted which is ready to die and his fron mech doesnt work at all. he is on sram rapid fire changers on the bars so am i correct in thinking he has to stay with sram derailleurs? also what would be a decent upgrade on derailleurs for this model of bike. it will be used for light pleasure XC rides and trails so no heavy use. he is on a budget so isnt after world beating setups.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rear yes, front shifter will work with Sram or Shimano front mechs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    He should be able to find a reasonable X7 or X9 rear mech on ebay or in the classifieds for a useful upgrade, personally I prefer Shimano front mechs to SRAM and would again be looking for a good used Deore. May be worth checking chain stretch and see if it's worth fitting a new chain or if it's too far gone waiting and doing chain and cassette together.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dankay123
    is it correct then that any front mech will do.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dankay123 wrote:
    is it correct then that any front mech will do.

most but not everyone.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dankay123
    sram apex for front mech would this work
  • cooldad
    That's a rather expensive road mech.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    See the beginners post. You need to match up pull (top or bottom - how the cable connects - many are both) and swing - whether it pivots top or bottom.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dankay123
    can anyone recommend me a front derailleur under £30 for this bike which is completely compatible
  • cooldad
    You (or he) have the bike. Where does the cable run from (top or bottom) and is the clamp above or below the pivot. And what size clamp is it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools