Velocity Bikes, Portsmouth

indysmith
indysmith Posts: 276
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Has anybody been in/bought anything from Velocity Bikes in Cosham, just outside Portsmouth?
What was your shopping experience like? Would you recommend it?

Comments

• 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Went in last year. The staff seem quite helpful and friendly and a decent range of bikes. Can't comment on any purchases as was just passing through
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Someone I know posted on twitter how helpful they were today.

Matt
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I've used them in the past. They're mostly pretty friendly and helpful, although a couple of the staff were slightly dismissive when I came in with my hybrid instead of the road bike. Would definitely recommend them, but their servicing can be a bit expensive.
  • Bellypopper
    Bellypopper Posts: 140
    Hi

I have purchased Bikes for myself and for my wife from them in the last year. Whilst they are not the cheapest, they are very knowledgeable, and extremely enthusiastic about all aspects of cycling. The service they give is second to none. I have recently had a bike fitting done by Dave, and was very impressed with the time that he spent with me.

All in all, a very good experience

Cheers
    Russ
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Have used them and they are friendly enough :D Noticed they do not advertise as a Viner retailer now(??). This seems to be a trend lately in the UK with Viner retailers and the Viner UK website is good for nothing! what's going on? Sorry for the slight highjack. :oops:
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I find service work done very good. Found one of the workers a bit rude and uphelpful (dismissive) but the rest really good. Owners really nice.
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    Another thumbs up for me for Velocity.

Very helpful and decent to deal with. A bit on the expensive side but then the last cheap LBS I went to dented my frame, and you get what you pay for.

Would recommend to anyone, they are always busy so that can also only be a good thing.
  • we bought a gary fisher mountain bike a few years ago from this outfit (when they were in london road). it was fitted with clip in pedals. i asked if they could change these pedals with decent platform pedals. they replaced the original pedals with cheap plastic ones......not impressed. the guy said they were of equal value....not. had to pay extra for decent ones. we have never used them since.
  • rglew
    rglew Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    I paid well over two thousand pounds for a custom built touring bike. That is to say that the frame (Mercian - King of Mercia - Reynolds 853 tubing) was custom built to my measurements taken in the shop.

When I eventually collected the bike - having by now taken my money, there was no "See how this feels - Are you happy" etc. Instead I was just handed the bike and more or less told, off you go.

I quickly realised that the bike was far too small - In fact like riding a child's bike. I went back to Velocity to explain my predicament and was told (in quite detailed and pseudo-scientific terms) that the bike wasn't too small; my riding position was at fault. They told me I need to ride at least 500 miles on the bike before I got used to the new riding position.
    So I thought "OK - You are the experts - So to be sure, I'll give it a thousand miles"

I have come off of this bike more times than I care to remember, due to the fact that the peddles get caught up in the front wheel when turning. I'm aware of toe overlap but it does not suit me. Try freewheeling from a standing start at a junction or freewheeling uphill when turning a corner.
    Even after 1000 miles, the bike is not comfortable and is far from efficient. An extremely tiring beast to ride. I'm in my fifties and have been an enthusiastic cyclist since my early teens. I've owned several touring bikes.

I could go on as this is not the only issue, but I will never use this shop again and I would not recommend it to anyone unless they know exactly what they want and are prepared to pay over the odds for it.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    JamesEs wrote:
    I've used them in the past. They're mostly pretty friendly and helpful, although a couple of the staff were slightly dismissive when I came in with my hybrid instead of the road bike. Would definitely recommend them, but their servicing can be a bit expensive.

Is a very fair summary. They are a bit snobby. Although they still "ordinary" stuff they are very geared to racers and racing and do look down their noses rather at anyone else. Having said that, they were very, very helpful to a friend who wanted a tourer for a LEJOG (although he's a racer that they know so.........).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Why so many first time posters reviving 2 year old threads today?