Recomend a rear wheel

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
My free hub is knackered, it's and entry level shimano hub, and it's not going to be cost effective to replace.

So I haver decided to upgrade the whole rear wheel as I have a hardtail carrera that takes a beating.

I discovered today a rim, mavic that is double walled? and very strong and very light. It was described as a DH rim so should be good for my use and abuse.

The rim was a great price at £60 for what it was. When i add in the spokes and hub and new cassette it was rapidly approaching £200. I can't really afford that right now but i need to do something asap.

Can anyone recommend a complete wheel with a max budget of £130?
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just get another hub and swap the bodies over. will cost you all of 20 quid.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    How is it now worth repairing? Most Shimano freehubs are interchangeable, and a Deore one only costs £21.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I thought this a few weeks back, but ended up getting a hub (following some great advice off here) and learning to replace it myself. With the cost of tools I didn't have (chainwhip, cassette lockring tool, 10mm hex) it would have been only a tenner more expensive to buy a crappy wheel from the LBS, but I now own the tools and can do this operation in the future (plus I've already let a mate borrow the tools).
  • YeehaaMcgee
    But the LBS will have the tools, get them to fix it.
  • apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    As i said it's an entry level set up that will just keep breaking, the rim is slightly buckled and two snapped spokes plus the hub plus then building it. I would rather buy a better quality wheel and have done with it.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    There's nothing wrong with entry level Shimano hubs though - they can live forever, often outliving their more expensive, boutique counterparts.
    Slight buckles are easy enough to sort out, but the snapped spokes (you didn't previously mention any of this of course) hint at a dodgy build more than anything else.

If you do go for a new wheel, be careful about how crazy you go. A DH will be unnecessarily heavy for the majority of riders and will make the bike somewhat of a chore to ride.
    Get a decent all rounder rim (if you do get a new wheel), and find a good wheelbuilder. The wheelbuilder's skills define the quality and strength of the wheel.