Help with diet. No Energy

jagx400
jagx400 Posts: 132
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I recently bought a hybrid on the CTW scheme and for the last 4 months have been cycling to work. I work 2.5 miles away but have gradually increased my route to 8 miles to work and 10 miles home, plenty of hills both ways, 5 days a week.

http://www.mapmytracks.com/explore/activity/590590

I have now purchased a road bike and am trying to do 25 miles on a Sunday, with the aim to get to 50 miles.

I am 6' 0" and started at 18 stone 6 pounds, I now weigh 16 stone 11 pounds. 52 years old with a knackered Thyroid, it is controlled well with drugs so not a problem.

I think I eat a sensible diet in the week, very little bread, plenty of fruit and salad. At the weekends I throw it out the window and eat what I want and have the odd beer, then Monday back to sensible stuff. I am losing 2lbs a week.

My trouble is I dont seem to have much energy and have to force myself to go out, once out I enjoy it and can keep going.

What foods would get my energy levels up for the start of the ride and then to maintain my levels during the day

Any advice on a good diet please.

Comments

• lucasf09
    lucasf09 Posts: 160
    I found I had the exact same problem when I started doing my commute (was 8 and a bit miles each way, now gone up to 14m each way), and to be honest still get days when lazyness is king. As you say once I am on the bike, I am fine, so its not an "energy" thing in the sense of not having the joules in you, more the mental energy of resisting the "uhh, the car is nice and warm" thoughts.
    Just keep at it, it become rarer and rarer as you do it more you do it. Of course, that is what helped me, so don't take this advice as law by any means.
    Also, now I am doing 28m a day (plus a ride on wkends), I find that tablets such as nuun/high5/etc help, they just take the edge off the water, and make you drink more, and the electrolytes help keep cramps away. Added benefit vrs other energy drinks is the "zero" calories aspect, so it won't affect the waist line!
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    Why are you not eating bread? It's a great source of energy.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    are you trying to lose weight?

it boils down to [energy expended > food intake], so pumping in extra calories will be counter productive, but the energy defecit may make you a bit lethargic at times

try to spread food intake through the day to avoid sugar highs/lows

plenty of fruit/veg is good, but watch out for too much juice as there's a lot of sugar there

for carbs, go for things with a low glycaemic index, then the energy is released more slowly/evenly, i.e. muesli and fresh fruit instead of cornflakes is a good start to the day

keep some healthy snacks handy for a quick boost between meals, fresh fruit, nut/seed/raisin mixes etc.

you'll need to adjust intake as you lose weight and increase fitness - i eat more now than a few years ago when i was heavier but did a lot less exercise, and my chocolate biscuit addiction is still totally out of control
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Burn some fat !
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    More carbs and you probably need to eat more too. A man your size and age would need about 3200 cals a day to maintain that weight. Aim for a sensible deficit ie 3200 - 500 which is 3500cals per week deficit before exercise and equivalent to 1lb
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Seems to me it's more of a psychological/motivation issue, given that you say you have plenty of energy once you're actually out on the bike.

Brain and body always want you to do less and conserve energy, especially if that's the routine you've been in for several years previously. The only exception to this for me is after I've warmed up - then brain and body seem very willing to do more, but getting out in the first place can be a real drag, and the first mile or the first hill can really make me puff.

If that is the issue, then it's a matter of playing a few mind games to persuade yourself that going out really is what you want to do. Feeling lazy or low in energy is normal, but the trick is to ignore it and simply get out there.

I tend to plan rides around my spare time a few days in advance, when the psychological 'fear' of actually doing it isn't there. Once the time comes around I'm already committed to doing it and I feel as if I have no choice.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    How active was your life before you took up cycling four months ago?

These things take time. Gradually increase what you do and at some point you will feel more energised.

Stop eating/drinking crap at the weekends, eat healthily all the time don't confuse your body by keep changing your diet.

That was supposed to be motivational, but on re-reading it just sounds critical, wasn't meant to be rude :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • You must also consider how much rest you are getting!! I am new to cycling but have a history in body building and scuba diving. Many people I know have noticed major performance increases through getting good rest through the night and if possible a 30 minute snooze a couple hours before major exertion......

Also, enjoy your weekends !!! But once in a while instead of drinking pints have weekend off! Stay on soft drinks or shandys and just feel the difference over next few days. You'll be amazed at the difference....

In the end, at least you have started doing something - as you progress, chop and change your routine ans see what works for you. Nothing you have put down looks wrong, it just depends on your goals at the end of the end of the day!!

Regards
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Seems to me it's more of a psychological/motivation issue, given that you say you have plenty of energy once you're actually out on the bike.

Brain and body always want you to do less and conserve energy, especially if that's the routine you've been in for several years previously. The only exception to this for me is after I've warmed up - then brain and body seem very willing to do more, but getting out in the first place can be a real drag, and the first mile or the first hill can really make me puff.

If that is the issue, then it's a matter of playing a few mind games to persuade yourself that going out really is what you want to do. Feeling lazy or low in energy is normal, but the trick is to ignore it and simply get out there.

I tend to plan rides around my spare time a few days in advance, when the psychological 'fear' of actually doing it isn't there. Once the time comes around I'm already committed to doing it and I feel as if I have no choice.
    +1 unlikely to be neergy levels with diet described and the fact your fine when out.
  • jagx400

Been out today and done 27 miles, I had to talk myself into it, once out I went further than I had planned. I even done a hill that is a real challenge.

As for the bread thing, I've always been told it is fattening and to avoid it, maybe bad advice.

As for how much activity before cycling........er, pretty much zero
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    +1 unlikely to be neergy levels with diet described and the fact your fine when out.
    You managed to figure that out just from the words "sensible diet" ?

OP: Post a quick rundown of a couple days worth of diet please.
  • jagx400
    Breakfast 6.30 am, Nutrigrain bar, 1 banana, 1 pear, Bowl of instant porridge.
    Break 10 am, Another Pear, and another bowl of instant Porridge.
    Lunch 1.10 pm, Salad, with low fat dressing and Tuna, 1 Banana.
    Evening meal, whatever the wife is cooking, Monday usually a roast dinner with plenty of veg, Tuesday usually home made curry, not much rice as I ain't keen, Wednesday chicken cooked in the bag, with veg.
    4 cups of tea through the day, 1 spoon of sugar, tried without but cant do it.
    High5/Zero drink during after cycling to work

Usually take a vitamin tablet, cod liver oil with added calcium and vitamin c tablet, I think they are all just a placebo effect really, but might be of some use.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jagx400 wrote:
    Evening meal, whatever the wife is cooking, Monday usually a roast dinner with plenty of veg, Tuesday usually home made curry, not much rice as I ain't keen, Wednesday chicken cooked in the bag, with veg.

Usually take a vitamin tablet, cod liver oil with added calcium and vitamin c tablet, I think they are all just a placebo effect really, but might be of some use.

Personally I would double your first porridge portion and ditch the nutrigrain. Swap your second bowl.for a bagel+peanut butter perhaps. Lunch isnt carb heavy unless the banana is going spotty. Unless you cramp easily high5 for that distance is wasteful imo. Trying to be thorough on a smart phone is diffocult,will come back later lol
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    jagx400 wrote:

Personally I would double your first porridge portion and ditch the nutrigrain. Swap your second bowl.for a bagel+peanut butter perhaps. Lunch isnt carb heavy unless the banana is going spotty. Unless you cramp easily high5 for that distance is wasteful imo. Trying to be thorough on a smart phone is diffocult,will come back later lol
    high 5 wont stop cramp
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    In my experience tiredness/lethargy is more closely related to sleep patterns and mood than the amount of exercise. Most people know the difference between being knackered after a good ride/run/hike and that unhappy, snapping-at-the-other-half kind of feeling when you're not in a good place. Try to tune into your body and your moods and recognise the difference and try to get quality sleep. Sleep is a big deal, for everyone.
    jagx400 wrote:
    As for the bread thing, I've always been told it is fattening and to avoid it, maybe bad advice.
    Probably not bad advice. http://optimumnutrition4sport.co.uk/art ... e-of-mind/
    I eat some bread, often sarnies as part of my lunch, but often feel less sludgy in the afternoon on the days I have tortilla wraps or alternatives.

What is instant porridge, is it like Ready Brek? Swap it for real porridge and add some fruit (e.g. raisins, apple or banana).

Do you not eat anything between lunch (just salad & a banana!!) and your evening meal? I'd struggle to get home some days on that. Add in some almonds, walnuts, sunflower, sesame or pumpkin seeds for protein. I don't see any mention of water.

Low fat dressing is not necessarily any better for you - lots now argue that all fats has been unfairly demonised and that you are better off ingesting higher quality oils (good olive and other cold-pressed types) rather than processed and trans-fats.

If you think your supplements are placebo then stop taking them. You will be fine. As with sugar in tea, you don't need Zero in your water bottle but if you like the taste...
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Switch tea to decaf tea. Will improve hydration levels which helps mood (and thereby hopefully motivation) and energy levels on ride.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    high 5 wont stop cramp

This reviewer would disagree:

http://road.cc/content/review/59390-hig ... 20-tablets

OP: if you're trying to lose weight then it's no wonder you are lacking energy. You just have to play the long game, accept it and know that one day soon you'll hit your goals and be able to fuel yourself properly without having to consider something as annoying as calorie deficit.

Good luck!