Car Bike Rack Fitting Tips

Shylock
Shylock Posts: 98
edited June 2012 in MTB general
So I am taking my mountain bike to Centerparcs this Monday and uncomfortably having to use a rear bike rack.

Apart from obviously securing the thing, any tips on maximising the chance of it not falling off and where to add protection to the bike.

Cheers.....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rent a bike there. less chance of it being stolen.

otherwise it all depends on your rack and bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Shylock
    Not renting a bike, I have a good lock.

The bike is a standard rear rack with a lot of pulleys, the bike is a hardtail MTB.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Assuming you are referring to a "strap on" type of rack and have no other option, then all you can do is follow:

1. Make sure the rack is compatible with the car - you would be surprised how many people buy a rack without even checking. Most problems come from compatibility with spoilers and glass that doesnt have any surround.

2. Follow the manufacturers instructions.

3. Make sure you check the rack a few miles down the road then periodically during the jourmey, especially if travelling in wet weather which can cause the straps to stretch.

4. To be legal and avoid being pulled by the boys in blue, you should fit a lighting board if the lights or number plate are even partially obscured.

As fas as protecting the bikes, put the bikes on and look for any rubbing points. A good protector is cheap foam pipe lagging from a DIY store. Don't forget any potential damage to the car as well!

I used to use a strap on carrier but just didn't trust it and changed to a towbar one (towbar and carrier came to just over 250 quid), never had any problems with the strap on one but never went further than about 30 miles with it.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Shylock wrote:

The bike is a standard rear rack with a lot of pulleys, the bike is a hardtail MTB.

A standard rear rack. Mmmmm I wonder what standard that is.

A hardtail wow there are so many out there....

Dont let you bike out of your sight. Don't leave it outside and make sure it can not be seen when no in use.

If it is a good bike and someone thinks they can make a pound on it it will go.

Otherwise with out details follow the info given above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Shylock
    Thanks ElliesDad, for the useful reply.

Yes I have no choice on this one, and it seems pretty secure on the back but just wanted to make sure!

Changing my car next year so wil get a Thule roof or tow bar version.

Nick- my bike is a genesis core and the rack I am not sure as I have borrowed it. It does not come with any instructions but it is pretty self explanatory.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't want to leave your bike out in the open at Centrparcs - renowned for bike thefts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    The bike rack is the least of your problems. Strap racks are fine.
    Centreparcs though? hmm.
  • spr wheelie
    spr wheelie Posts: 110
    the way i do it is fit the rack and tighten the straps
    shake the rack untill i see the cas suspension bouce and tighten straps again
    fit the bikes then tighten again
    then shake the bikes and tighten again.

not fell off yet but i havent went more than an hour away though
    sight 3 se
  • Shylock
    Cool, the bike will be inside during the night, and only locked outside in the morning run for fresh bread. Will be locked with a kryptonite d lock and cable. Never had my previous bikes pinched but also transported by a mate.
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    May be over kill, but I'd lock the bike up when it is on the rack as well. See if you can run the cable through the towing eye or another part of the chassis.
    WARNING!!! Do not run cable through any part of the vehicle that rotates nor suspension components, including anti roll bars.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:
    You don't want to leave your bike out in the open at Centrparcs - renowned for bike thefts.

It's ok though, apparently he has a good lock.....

.. que the laughter from the crowd.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Strap style racks - check it fits your car if you have a hatchback. Some with glass hatches that have no edge other than glass cannot use these style racks. I know as I can't use them on my Civic. At least I wouldn't risk it as both Honda and the rack manufacturers advise against it.
    Shylock wrote:
    Best locks are easy to get through in barely a minute. http://youtu.be/6AdugFzCi24

Centre Parcs proves plenty of opportunity for them to have a go without being noticed and they can easily get in with the decent tools.

Seriously though, bike theft there is a huge problem and there's a lot on the net about it. Their security seems unable to deal with it, and expensive bikes are rich pickings.

I'd rent or take something very cheap. You don't need a "proper" bike there anyway, just something to pootle around with.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    I had a Focus with a glass hatchback, i just did away with the side straps - using the top and bottom ones properly did the job fine......biggest hazard was the potential of crashing whilst constantly checking the mirrors to make sure the bikes were still there!
  • Shylock
    Thanks for all you help, arrived home safely with the bike!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    deadkenny wrote:
    Best locks are easy to get through in barely a minute. http://youtu.be/6AdugFzCi24

I don't see anyone getting through the best locks in that vid in under a minute- it's just the expensive **** that gets cut to ribbons.
    Uncompromising extremist