What am I doing

jjgreenwood
jjgreenwood Posts: 36
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
So I'm 32 got a belly that overhangs my jeans, smoke 20 a day, love a drink but have cut back recently. Haven't had any decent exercise for a least 10 years so have no muscles to speak of at all. For some reason I've just spent £1500 on a cannondale supersix which I picked up on Thursday. I have new shoes with bits of plastic on that clip into the pedals. A set of boxers with a built in nappy to stop my bum from hurting. Some gloves with pads on so my baby hands don't get hurt.

So on the next sunny day I'm going to have to mount this thing and do some exercise. Am I mad?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    nope not mad, you just made one of the best decisions of your life

oh, and take it from an ex-smoker, an even better decision is giving it up
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    under NO circumstances try to ride the steed...this will lead to thought enjoyment, overwelming joy of being outside in the fresh care free air, which in turn will lead to more and more time spent away from the family...your wife (or partner) will leave you for not spending any time with them, kids (if you have any) will forget who you are, and worst of all over time your lose weight and become the envy of your friends and workmates....again DO NOT attempt such a rediclous idea :D
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    the only mistake i can see is "waiting for a sunny day".

Get out and enjoy :D
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    I think your body is about to say "thank you", after some initial grumbling of course.

Well done on one of the best decisons for the rest of your life.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • JonnyJH
    JonnyJH Posts: 47
    I had a similar start, been riding 10 days, hadn’t exorcised for 10 years and smoke! Only difference is I’m a skinny runt and don’t drink often (but when I do.....)
    My first ride was pouring rain start to finish, in fact think I have got wet on every ride so far but hasn’t stopped my enjoyment in the slightest!
    Don’t wait for a sunny day, could be weeks if ever in this bl00dy country!
    From one newbie to another, welcome! The only madness is waiting so long to buy a bike! :D
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    sungod wrote:

oh, and take it from an ex-smoker, an even better decision is giving it up
    +1 From an ex smoker-drinker-worthless non cyclist

Your life begins here!
  • Swos
    Swos Posts: 27
    Congratulations on your new purchase have fun and enjoy it
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Dont over do it and jusy enjoy it. :D
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    So I'm 32 got a belly that overhangs my jeans, smoke 20 a day, love a drink but have cut back recently. Haven't had any decent exercise for a least 10 years so have no muscles to speak of at all. For some reason I've just spent £1500 on a cannondale supersix which I picked up on Thursday. I have new shoes with bits of plastic on that clip into the pedals. A set of boxers with a built in nappy to stop my bum from hurting. Some gloves with pads on so my baby hands don't get hurt.

So on the next sunny day I'm going to have to mount this thing and do some exercise. Am I mad?

Taking up cycling and not quitting the cancer sticks is mad. Taking up cycling isn't. Take your time,build distance and enjoy it!
  • Just got back from my first ride - a massive 4 miles. Was a bit wobbly and still trying to understand how the gears work but am getting there slowly. Legs now feel bloody tight and stiff and I'm covered in sweat. Impressed with the click in pedals (time iclic 2) much easier than I was expecting. Gears not as slick as I was expecting but that's probably due to my own ineptitude.

Glad I finally got on it, not so scared of it now. Hopefully will go a bit further tomorrow.
  • Ka12
    Ka12 Posts: 216
    You will soon build up distances, I did a couple of 6 mile rides last week then did a 15 mile one today :) I'm just going to build up slowly and increase the distances each week.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Well done!

You don't realise it yet, but this year you will spend another £1k on kit, assuming you resist the urge to buy another bike, which you will soon realise that you NEED!

I was just like you 15 months ago (except I never smoked) - I am now teetotal, 4 stones lighter, have muscular/tendinitis legs that I still can't believe are mine and am thoroughly addicted.

The fitness takes time - 6 weeks just for your heart to significantly adapt and get the start of some CV Fitness, and once you have that your mileage will rocket and the weight will drop off.

Make sure you watch the Tour De France (starts in 13 days and will be on ITV4) and stay safe!

Be sure to post regular updates.

AND STOP SMOKING!!!!! NOW!!!!!!
  • Secteur
    PS would like to hear what made you decide to take up exercise, and why cycling?
  • Just been consistently gaining weight. Starting to gain weight in the face now so need to burn a few calories, also got very low energy levels which a bit of exercise will probably sort out. Cycling because I've joined the gym in the past and never made proper use of it. Also always enjoyed cycling and owned mountain bikes last few years that haven't seen much use cos my mate that I went riding with now works at the same place as me and we never get the same day off. Road biking I can do myself and due to the increased speed hopefully get a decent sense of achievement from.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    sungod wrote:
    Damn right. The only bad thing that can come of this is the regret that you didn't do it years ago.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    Glad your enjoying it, i did a 40 mile ride this morning, and apart from the aching legs and a slightly tender backside, i loved every minute of it.

I sometimes lack the motivation to get the bike out, but once i'm out and riding, i don't want to stop.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Well done. Now the good news is there is some decent weather coming up and nice long evenings. Remember not to overdo it and get I'll or injured. Steady build up and give your body plenty of time to adjust
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Well done.

I started 4 years ago now. I was speaking to my neighbour (who took it up a little before me) the other day. When we first rode together we made it 2 miles down the road, up a short sharp hill, then stopped. We chose to turn around at that point.
    Now I think nothing of riding 150 miles a week.

I found riding with others a big motivator to get out, but riding alone, I just wanted to go faster.

Enjoy your bike.

Btw, I don't think I know a single cyclist that smokes. They all seen to give up. I think it's because they want shiny new things instead
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    FSR_XC wrote:
    Well done.

I started 4 years ago now. I was speaking to my neighbour (who took it up a little before me) the other day. When we first rode together we made it 2 miles down the road, up a short sharp hill, then stopped. We chose to turn around at that point.
    Now I think nothing of riding 150 miles a week.

I found riding with others a big motivator to get out, but riding alone, I just wanted to go faster.

Enjoy your bike.

Btw, I don't think I know a single cyclist that smokes. They all seen to give up. I think it's because they want shiny new things instead

This pretty much sums me up too though I kept fairly fit doing some walking challenges so I started from a fitter base. Now, I enjoy going out and pushing myself, attacking any hill I can find and spend too much browsing for cycling gear!!!
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    FSR_XC wrote:

56047.jpg

They were 'ard in them days.

I see the occasional fixie pervert smoking on my commute, but once you get used to grabbing lungfuls of lovely fresh air and converting them into endorphins, you won't need the cancer sticks.

Like you I've got into it recently because the middle-age spread was reaching my face... 5'9 and 90kgs, I've lost 3 kgs in 6 weeks.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Thanks guys, been ill the last couple of days so haven't been able to get out. Shame as weather was lovely today and I'd planned an early morning ride, but never mind. I'll wait a couple of days for the drugs to work and get out later in the week.
  • Secteur
    Make sure you do... Just a few days off can stall the inertia when you're first starting out.

Do you have some "proper" clothing - Lycra etc... It feels odd at first, but it really does make a huge difference.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,609
    Secteur wrote:
    Do you have some "proper" clothing - Lycra etc... It feels odd at first, but it really does make a huge difference.
    Works well when you're cycling too.

Joking aside, good on you, jjg. Nice choice of bike. Hope you have a wonderful life together.
  • Secteur wrote:
    Make sure you do... Just a few days off can stall the inertia when you're first starting out.

I have some cycling boxers (or the nappy as I call them) as I'm not ready for the full condom look just yet, lets lose a bit of weight first.
  • notlongnow
    notlongnow Posts: 176
    well done on the purchase I hope you stick at it and reap the rewards patience is key.Ive been cycling 14 months now and love it,I started after deciding I didnt want to be fat at 40 so spent a couple hundred quid on a hard tail as I didnt want to spend a lot in case I didnt like it and after the sore legs sore bum and breathlessness I found I actually liked it so stuck at it.First ride was a couple of miles down to the local park and back now its 20-40 miles a ride and 4 months ago after losing quite a lot of weight I rewarded myself with a road bike
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Well done and welcome to the fold :-)

I'd echo the comments about cycling gear being a nice thing to have, but wanted to point out that the "condom" look is not the only option. I'll wear full lycra for club runs/hard rides/etc but my daily option is the following:

Torm jersey: http://www.torm.cc/t2.html (lovely and comfy, well fitted but not skin tight)
    A set of M&S chino shorts: http://www.marksandspencer.com/Blue-Har ... olor=Putty ("Action" elasticated waist makes them comfy on the bike. Add padded boxers if you need them)
    A set of SPD shoes: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... onoma-shoe (good for walking as well as cycling)

The end result is classic cyclist, rather than modern roadie, but I am very happy with the result and have had compliments both on and off the bike. None of it cost the earth either (unlike the Rapha city range, which will achieve a similar look at three times the price...)
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I would always caution newbie or returning riders to avoid clipping into pedals, esp on a new and unfamiliar style of bike. Stick some cheap platform pedals on until you are confident and skilled enough to attach yourself to the bike.
    "Clipless Moments" are when you stop but forget to unclip..... with hilarious consequences.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    MichaelW wrote:
    I would always caution newbie or returning riders to avoid clipping into pedals, esp on a new and unfamiliar style of bike. Stick some cheap platform pedals on until you are confident and skilled enough to attach yourself to the bike.
    "Clipless Moments" are when you stop but forget to unclip..... with hilarious consequences.

I strongly disagree. Clipless pedals are an absolutely fantastic addition to the bike and well worth the effort. The way to go for newbies is SPD rather than road pedals though - much easier to get in and out of but still provide 99% of the benefit. I'd even go as far as to say they are easier than toe-clips. They are also available with flat one side / SPD the other if you want to have options or ride in normal shoes. I'm a big fan
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    (Ex-smoker and ex-drinker here) (I'm still fat, mind :( )

1. Well done, I started riding again a couple of years ago and mostly love it
    2. If you wait for a sunny day you may need some patience
    3. Time to end your career as a Cancer Chancer - give up the NicSticks, FFS
    4. Jack the booze while you're at it, booze and fags go together like chips and gravy
    5. Take it easy to start with - look at some maps and find some nice quiet road rides - avoid 'cycle paths', they are mostly sh17, rubbish surfaces and full of people who don't have a clue how to ride
    6. Be prepared for a mad attack of spending - for example, I'd never dream of spending £50 on a shirt or £50 on a pair of shorts, but will happily lash that out on bike stuff :lol:

7. Most importantly, enjoy it - ignore the (s)he-men who sometimes populate this forum, it's about setting your own goals and challenges, and getting the satisfaction from meeting them.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Don't wait for a sunny day, use two weeks smoking money to buy decent water proof gear and get out there. I love cycling in bad weather - it's extreme cycling!
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com