Handlebar width?

clayboy
clayboy Posts: 31
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hello all,

After a bit of advice? or am I worrying over nothing?

I have ordered a new bike with bars with a outside to outside width of 44cm.

I have a chest measurement of 37", I have just notices on ribbles web page that they recommend a outside to outside bar width of 42cm for my chest size.

Will it make much difference?

Cheer's Nick.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    it's shoulder width rather than chest size that determines best bar width

wouldn't worry about it, unless they are way too wide/narrow it won't make much difference
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    measure from the bump (technical term) on the top of one shoulder across to the bump on the other shoulder, this is the measurement that is supposed to correspond with the centre to centre measure of your drops.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    sungod wrote:
    wouldn't worry about it, unless they are way too wide/narrow it won't make much difference

Maybe it's just me, but i'm not sure I agree with this. When I moved down from a 44cm bar to a 42cm the difference in comfort was immediately apparent.

44cm is on the larger side Clayboy, but then that might suit you.

The bars themselves can vary too. My 3T Ergonovas, for example, are measured from the very ends of the bars rather than the hoods and as they flare out in a way that many other makes don't, you should really go for a size up on what you are used to.
  • clayboy
    clayboy Posts: 31
    Thank you for the replies.

I have done a quick measement, and it would seem the 42cm bars are a better size.

Cheer's, Nick.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    sungod wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but i'm not sure I agree with this. When I moved down from a 44cm bar to a 42cm the difference in comfort was immediately apparent.

44cm is on the larger side Clayboy, but then that might suit you.

The bars themselves can vary too. My 3T Ergonovas, for example, are measured from the very ends of the bars rather than the hoods and as they flare out in a way that many other makes don't, you should really go for a size up on what you are used to.

fair enough, probably depends on the individual, i've got one bike with 42 which is the correct width for me, another with 44, but i don't feel any great difference - i'm lanky though, maybe long arms reduce the effect
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny